Author Topic: Drum Pearls?  (Read 7788 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Drum Pearls?
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:26:14 pm »
Good morning from the west! Still dealing with the Hanta virus fall out around here - since this "epidemic" and school back in session it has gotten quiet around here.  Had a fella in the Museum yesterday from the east. He asked me if I had ever heard of Drum Pearls. I hadn't so he enlightened me to the extent that he knew. I did a little more research last night and voila - enlightenment!  Drum Pearls are osteoliths that grow inside of a sheepshead fish or Drum. They vary in size depending on the fish.  They are rocks and apparently can tell a researcher a lot about a particular fish.  If any of you have experienced these please let me know.  If you have some could I trade you something for some? I would like to see them for my self.  Learn something new every day and you will never be bored.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Drum Pearls?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »
Ill take a nice Pearl Drum kit over Drum Pearls any day Ben! Cool info to share.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:04:06 pm »
i have heard the noise they make when you catch one yet we allways let them go because the are not good eating.talk to the guys up in the great lakes areas.they may be able to help you out.write halfeye a pm.he is very knowlegable,a fisherman and lives up in drum country.hope this helps.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:22:49 pm »
Sheepsheads are damn good eating. They are hard to catch though because they take the bait so delicately you hardly feel it. We used to use fiddler crabs for bait.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline raghorns

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:54:48 pm »
I have cut them out of the drum we have caught here in Missouri...one on each side of the head...they can make a lot of noise with them. Very hard...sort of rough...milky white. 
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:12 pm »
sorry Pat,i was allways told that they were not good eating.we allways let them go,but we were after walleyes.maybe i should have kept a few.now i want to go catch drum.thanks Pat.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 05:19:10 pm »
I think we are talking about 2 different fish. The sheepshead is a salt water fish that lives in coastal areas and on reefs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:30:43 pm »
we are talking about two different fish Pat.i am talking about freshwater drum.they have those ear bones and make that noise.sorry about the confusion.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »
I'm a great lakes kinda guy, and I caught a few sheep head. They're ok to eat if ya get a small one when the water is still good and cold. Them big ones in hot weather get real mushy. As for the drum pearls, cant say I ever noticed any, but never looked for them either. Cool info, thanks for sharing.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:39:46 am »
we find them inthe saltwater cats here inFl. I used to have a baggie of them but traded them years ago. Best timeto go is when a red tide hits and then wait a week or so fo the smell to go away. We find the cats all over thebeaches and dig them out of the little spots on either side of the heads

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:40:34 am »
  I seen them once at a yard sell and told what they were and where they came form. I was young and dumb and did'nt get them. They only wanted a dollor each this aws in the late 70's.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Patches

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »
We used to get alot of them on the rivers in Southeast Missouri.  My dad cut the "drums" out of the heads, but I am not sure what ever happened with them.  We still catch alot of drum now around Truman Lake (west central MO) when we are walleye fishing.  We catrch em on crank baits. They are pretty good to eat out of the lake, but if they are from a dirty stream or river (like the Missorui River) they kinda have a "twang" about them. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."