Author Topic: White oak. Maybe some questions answered.  (Read 6033 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
White oak. Maybe some questions answered.
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:28:18 pm »
Been seeing alot of "white oak questions" popping up well i didnt want to accIdently hijack someone's thread.
White oak is pretty indestructible. For example, here's a replica I made the other day took me all together 6 hrs to make. It's a replica bow from tbb 1 pg.178 (I think)
54.25" long, 2.5"@ midlimb introduced 2" of reflex took 1" of set. Which isnt bad at all for white oak. blah blah blah
Pulls 52#@28" Oregon white.

Heat tempered A LOT! Burned that sucker good. And the wood seemed to agree with the harsh behavior. Though the porous parts of the wood started to blacken and crack open. I did not care. And with good reason.

Right after tempering and reflexing(also with dry heat).
Gave it a quick sand so it would show up better on the photo

Over night. Closed right up.

String grooves(working recurves)

This bow has not gotten its cherry bark grip or a final finish.
It has in fact passed about 100 arras and is still shooting great.
This bow was more of an experiment than anything.

-Bryce
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: White oak. Maybe some questions answered.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:41:08 pm »
Sweet.  thanks for posting pinecone.  That is some motivation for digging into those pieces of white oak sitting in line. 

Do you have an unbraced side profile pic? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:58:05 pm »
Bad picture but oh well
Here yah go!

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:55 pm »
That looks nice. I would have expected more set from that design and from what I had heard about white oak.  I wonder if it was your heat-treating that made the difference. Nice on yah for taking on that replica!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:14:54 am »
I'm glad you like it! white oak is easy to tiller. That's why I have so much in my stash :P

-B
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03:55 am »
I just started a a white oak stave.

It actually gambel oak aka scrub oak but wiki said it was white oak so I'm sticking with that.
It has a pretty gnarly back and has some holes in the rings but i'm gonna tiller it anyhow.
I soaked em with super glue. If I get it finished I'll  defiantly post pics.

Thanks for the heat treat info.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:34:11 am »
You got a lot out of that piece of wood, for sure. Nice job and sweet bend.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:56:04 am »
I have been working a lot of white oak lately and the stuff we have from the other side of the country reacts the same way to a good heat treating.  Mine cracks like that too and then reseals itself after re-hydrating.  That is a fine looking bow.  It is pretty near unbreakable from what I have found.  You tillered that one perfectly.  I usually end up with a little more set than that.  Great work.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »
Sharp- jump on that stave! Im sure it not to dry down there for oak :P

Rhodes- that you for the compliment. I was noticing that no matter how wide or how narrow I made the white oak I always got 2-3" of set. So this time I went with a paddle bow design and the burned this nearly into flames. Iam very please with only 1" set. But am still determined to get 0.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:28:50 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:10 pm »
Well I am very impressed. A little shorty like that and white oak too...might have to give it another thought. well done.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:22 am »
I forgot to mention that the wide limbs make this bow shoot an arrow about as fast a snail. But she stick Packs a punch:)

Another one I have has 1 1/2" wide limbs and shoot WAAAY faster but that's simple physics we all can agree on :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:55 am »
I have messed around with white oak designs a little bit too,  and have found it to be a bit of a puzzle how to get the best performance out of it.  I am working on a couple right now and have learned that they will take a lot of heat and that it really helps the performance.  I have overbuilt one and ended up with little set,  but sort of below average arrow speed.  The speediest arrows I have come up with per pound have come from a 58" recurve, bending slightly in the handle and limbs about 1 3/8" right out of the fades, and about 2" of set.  I am still on a quest for zero set and that ultimate design for this species.   I have one on the way now that is a simple D bow, 62" ntn, and absurdly thin tips - burnt toast heated - we'll see how that one does....  It is wonderful bow wood, huh?  White oak is quite unique.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 02:08:01 pm »
Very interesting thread.......have a white oak stave that I am looking forward to stating.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:53 pm »
I have messed around with white oak designs a little bit too,  and have found it to be a bit of a puzzle how to get the best performance out of it.  I am working on a couple right now and have learned that they will take a lot of heat and that it really helps the performance.  I have overbuilt one and ended up with little set,  but sort of below average arrow speed.  The speediest arrows I have come up with per pound have come from a 58" recurve, bending slightly in the handle and limbs about 1 3/8" right out of the fades, and about 2" of set.  I am still on a quest for zero set and that ultimate design for this species.   I have one on the way now that is a simple D bow, 62" ntn, and absurdly thin tips - burnt toast heated - we'll see how that one does....  It is wonderful bow wood, huh?  White oak is quite unique.

I have one In the work with a particularly strange desIgn for this wood but it's showing remarkable results, but I'm keeping it hush hush for now just in case it fails :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 07:02:35 pm »
here's my favorite white oak, not heat treated 'cept for the tip's, with minimal set, less than 1/2", from a board, i've had great success whith this wood, BubIMG]http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt320/bubncheryl/Picture002-30.jpg[/IMG]
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹