Author Topic: First vine maple stave! (and overall first stave)---[Hinge broke the bow]  (Read 14230 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: First vine maple stave! (and overall first stave)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 02:40:32 pm »
Be carefull around those dips you will hindge if not paying close attention. I would recommend ignoring the dips and get a good arch, then go back to those dips and remove weight from those areas carefully.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 02:42:23 pm »
alright, i have just barely got it bending right now, it would probably weigh in at 50 lbs at 8-10 inches if i could get it that far. so i still have a LOT of wood left to work with.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »
looks like it is nearly floor tillered, the over all thickness is 3/4" at the fades, it tapers to 1/2" at the tips and then there is about 1"-3/4" thick at the last 2 inches of the tips. looks like its going to be VERY fast because there will be nearly no mass when im done.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 04:45:49 pm »
just weighed it and its now 21oz and will probably drop quite a bit more when its fully tillered considering that its just gotten to floor tiller.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »
So, i just weighed the bows draw, at 12 inches with a loose string its hit 30#. and my goal is 50# @ 28"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 06:15:36 pm »
If you need help with the till just throw some pics up with it in the tillering stick and it will be easier to help.

-B
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 06:31:28 pm »
alright, i have just marked out 1 inch sections along the limb, then i marked it if its too think, and if its the right thickness then i don't mark it, then i can remove wood from those sections thus giving me a taper.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 08:35:11 pm »
pics of it at rest and then front, then back. Tell me what you guys think, I will say, it is pulling 45# @ 15" of draw.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 09:50:57 pm »
Bend looks pretty good, but I wouldn't put much in the weight at x draw length, when you have a long string on.  At the point you are at I move to a low brace to continue tillering.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline aaron

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 11:37:30 pm »
when you use a long string, make it as short as possible- yours is a bit too long.
i think you may still be too stiff for a low brace.
i would take down the tip thickness- you won't need all that thickness, even if you do go for flipped tips ( which i think you should not flip the tips).
good job so far!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 11:47:38 pm »
So by tip thickness you mean the last 2 inches that i left thick right? I have found a brace height that is considered low brace and will use that tomorrow to help me tiller it.

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 01:11:03 am »
I just found my way over and I think the build is going very well. I agree there is more tillering to be done before risking a low brace string up, but I do think you are on the right track and are doing well. Keep a close watch on those areas where the "lumps" are close together. One of them looked like a prime candidate for a hinge. I'm not saying there actually was one there but I can certainly see it happening.

- Mike

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 01:01:13 pm »
Looking pretty good so far,as far as tapper I usually let the tiller determan my tapper especially on a piece of character wood like that one. Like others have said shorten the long string as short as you can get it,it will give a more realistic look at the tiller. 30 inches is going to be a lot to ask of that piece of wood.  :) but I get surprised every day around here. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 01:23:08 pm »
at this point yes about 30, though i will do my best to not draw that far. Ill get to work on it now, plenty of time to get a good portion done today  ;D

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 02:20:38 pm »
OK, i have a problem. I removed too much wood here at the tip  :'( I assume i can fix it because there is still wood that i can remove nearer to the handle. I am not sure what to do at this point. i wont work on it further till i know what i should do. I imagine that this bow may have to come out at a much lighter draw because of this.