Author Topic: My first selfbow near completion, but need tiller advice  (Read 7397 times)

Offline Strong Leaf

Re: My first selfbow near completion, but need tiller advice
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 01:41:07 pm »
Responses are great :) thanks again ,, I did not know about "decrowning" and thought as long as I had a single ring down the center I was alright ,,,with that said would it be possible to go as to narrow front profile view to the width of the single strip of hartwood down the middle ?? I do have the book "Bows and arrows of the native Americans " by Jimm Hamm . It does explain baking a bow with sinew . I have stopped everything and now am gathering the materials I need to back the bow . Thanks you greatly you guys :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 02:00:48 pm »
Decrowning in the manner you have said is Ok on some woods, but I can't speak for Osage.
It may be ok, if there are no vioaltions across the limb.
But if the guys have suggested backing, then that's the way to go to be safe on your first bow.
Del
(I felt I just had to offer a word of agreement with your thinking)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 02:47:11 pm »
There are guys on here far more experienced than I when it comes to sinew backing, so solicit more advice.  Having said that, 60" long and 2+" wide is over-kill.  I would narrow that puppy down to 1 1/2" or so.  Ring orientation becomes far less important if you back the bow, but since you have a ring running down the center, I might try and follow that as a guide.  Just don't get too narrow, just to stay under the ring.  Just thinking out loud, but a sinew backing on your first bow is a big task.  Rawhide might be a better option.  Easier to get the material, easier to apply...just a thought.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »
I second that. Nix on the sinew. Much simpler to back with rawhide and it should resolve the problems you've created by "decrowning" the back. Generally speaking, osage will tolerate decrowning as long as it's done right so rawhide should be the appropriate insurance at this point. If you are having trouble finding some go to the trade blanket and you shouldn't have any trouble getting some.

Scott

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 05:19:36 pm »
Hmmm yeah I was just looking at the close up photos and noticed there was no ring chased either......was wondering about that.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Strong Leaf

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 06:18:03 pm »
Here is an update ... The limbs are 1.5" wide starting from fades to 1/2" at tips. I am applying rawhide when I get it. It will be glued with titebond III,, any tips on application???? And would it be a good idea to wrap a piece of rawhide around handle to reinforce a possible fracture on the belly???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:22:17 pm by Strong Leaf »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 08:05:23 pm »
"Possible fracture on the belly"????  Don't sound good amigo.  Can you be more specific?  Where, how big, running which direction, when did it show up.  Checks on the back, and I'm not saying yours is a check, usually close up under tension, no biggy.  Checks on the belly tend to open farther under compression.  Not so good.   A fracture would indicate, to me, a serious problem. 

Offline Strong Leaf

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 10:31:44 pm »
The crack(s) have always been there from start. There are two running vertically which at first appeared to be on surface, but now one can be seen on the outside edge of side of the handle. There is one more next it but is entirely in the center . It seems fine now pulling 38#@14",,,should I still rawhide back it???? or should I try to see if I can finish in one piece?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:35:36 pm by Strong Leaf »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:03 am »
Everything about that scares me.  I have attached 2 drawings (art is not my strong suit, but this is my attempt at 3D) to illustrate my point.  I think your handle fades are too thin.  Hard to tell for sure from the pics, but it appears that way to me.  If you already have cracks in the fades, and you are too thin to boot, it will probably hit you between the eyes at some point.  This is assuming a stiff handle design.  I will be curious to hear what others have to say, but I think you got a problem.  I'm not sure that rawhide will fix it.  Again, maybe someone will chime in and offer a different opinion altogether.

Offline Strong Leaf

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 01:32:00 am »
Thanks So much :) I was thinking the same thing the last few weeks but never wanted to see it. I appreciate your info and drawing.