Author Topic: Warbow Shooting off 400foot cliff...New HHB Warbow  (Read 18030 times)

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
    • The Canadian Warbow Society
Warbow Shooting off 400foot cliff...New HHB Warbow
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:29:18 am »
Hey guys just finished a new Hop-hornbeam (Ironwood) Warbow a few weeks back (90lbs @ 32") , will upload pictures soon. But in the mean time I have uploaded a video shooting it off of Esther's bluff on the Bruce trail here in Ontario Canada. I am also shooting a 98lb Italian Yew, and a 132lb Italian Yew with EWBS spec Standards. Hope you enjoy,
Cheers,
-Jake

http://youtu.be/xWXp0_VTr-A

Offline adb

Re: Warbow Shooting off 400foot cliff...New HHB Warbow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:52:56 am »
Seems like a strange place to shoot a bow. Are you able to recover your arrows? Are you 100% sure there aren't any people down there? Be sure of your target... and beyond.

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:24 pm »
Yes I am 100% sure, this area I have been coming to since birth, it is where my family settled from England, beyond the cliff face is open bush. I am blessed to be here with such beautiful land, and with a cliff like that and safe, why not? It wasn't for distance or for practicality, just one of those things I had to do, it is a beautiful spot that I know very well. It was for video art.
Cheers,
-Jake

Offline robby

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:20:11 pm »
I get it Agi'.
Robby

Offline thomas h

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:06:56 pm »
i apologize in advance for  my stupidity  on war bow shooting :-[but why  the little  dance after the arrow is re-leased ?

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:47 pm »
Yes I am 100% sure, this area I have been coming to since birth, it is where my family settled from England, beyond the cliff face is open bush. I am blessed to be here with such beautiful land, and with a cliff like that and safe, why not? It wasn't for distance or for practicality, just one of those things I had to do, it is a beautiful spot that I know very well. It was for video art.
Cheers,
-Jake
No worries... glad to hear it's a safe area! Only downside for me would be not being able to recover my arrows! It takes me hours to make the war arrows by hand, and throwing them away seems wasteful to me. Shooting from there is an interesting video opportunity! Thanks for sharing. Any idea how far you are getting, launching from that high up?

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:04:55 pm »
i apologize in advance for  my stupidity  on war bow shooting :-[but why  the little  dance after the arrow is re-leased ?

It's called follow through, and some people believe it gives them increased cast. Usually when I shoot a warbow, I can't help it... taking a step forward, as all the energy is released from such a long draw. Jake is using a rolling loose as well, which causes an even more pronounced follow through.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:15:14 am by adb »

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:29:59 am »

[/quote]
No worries... glad to hear it's a safe area! Only downside for me would be not being able to recover my arrows! It takes me hours to make the war arrows by hand, and throwing them away seems wasteful to me. Shooting from there is an interesting video opportunity! Thanks for sharing. Any idea how far you are getting, launching from that high up?
[/quote]

Yeah I only shot beater arrows never would have shot good ones, especially comp arrows! As I too spend a great deal of time on each one. Everyone there reckons 500yards would be a reasonable distance but I can't of course state that with any backing!

Here's a few pictures of a EWBS Livery and EWBS Quarter Pounder a made the other day.
Livery:
32" from bottom of nock to shoulder, bob-tailed 1/2" to 3/8"

Hand forged, case hardened Tudor Bodkin. Yet to smooth shoulder for maximum distance.

Fletching 7.5" whipped 4 turns per inch, red silk. Before varnish. 2" insert, 1/4" nock depth

2" insert, 1/4" nock depth

Quarter Pounder:

32" from bottom of nock to shoulder oak. bobtailed 1/2" to 3/8"

Hand forged, case hardened plate cutter.

7.5" fletch with trailing edge, whipped 4 turns per inch with black silk. Before varnish, 2" insert 1/4" nock slot depth.

New comp arrows.

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 03:36:07 am »

adb has put it very well, I use both a static release and rolling loose, the rolling loose creates a smooth motion in which all you warbow shooting muscles are used, many dislike it, but I find it hard to put it down when almost all record holders use it. Check out the EWBS stats.

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:50:53 am »
Photos of HHB (Ironwood) 90lb @ 32" warbow. It came out lighter then I wanted as it was my first time using the wood, but I am tillering a second one now, aiming for 120lbs. 78" between nocks.

gnarly horn, decided to leave it rough.

Cheers
-Jake

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 08:47:34 am »

adb has put it very well, I use both a static release and rolling loose, the rolling loose creates a smooth motion in which all you warbow shooting muscles are used, many dislike it, but I find it hard to put it down when almost all record holders use it. Check out the EWBS stats.
It's interesting that when shot at a ground level target the 'little dance' dissapears.(judging from what I've seen on Youtube)
Maybe it does improve flight distance... but it certainly isn't involuntary or necessary.
BTW Nice vid :)
Del
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:51:05 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 09:07:49 am »
Jake, thanks for sharing. Very nice video, beautiful scenery. You make a mean looking arrow too. (hopefully I'll have some time this winter to improve my fletching skills).
Good luck
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »

It's interesting that when shot at a ground level target the 'little dance' dissapears.(judging from what I've seen on Youtube)
Maybe it does improve flight distance... but it certainly isn't involuntary or necessary.
BTW Nice vid :)
Del

Hi Del, from what I have seen I knew you would bite, I think this topic has been gone over a few times now eh? When shooting head on I don't know how one would move in the rolling loose fashion, there definitely would be know rolling, but there is a forward movement as the string passes by. I as you may notice do shoot both. Again, most of the record holders use the rolling loose technique, so why knock it if one cannot equal it. Just my thoughts.
Thanks Del was a good fun time!  :)
Cheers,
-Jake

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »
Jake, thanks for sharing. Very nice video, beautiful scenery. You make a mean looking arrow too. (hopefully I'll have some time this winter to improve my fletching skills).
Good luck

Thanks very much for that mate! Power to ya for the winter, hope you can crank out some 'fine roving shafts!' be keen to see how you got on with 'em!
Cheers,
-Jake

Offline Scowler

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
Cool vid, thanks for sharing.  Who is the band providing soundtrack?