Author Topic: Need Profile Help  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Blacktail

Need Profile Help
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:48:13 pm »
I was gifted this piece of yew wood and it is too sister billets that were already spliced together. The problem that I am having is that 8 inches above the handle the billet tapers in an inch and a quarter. So, what kind of profile do you think I could do on this stick? I don't know if it is possible to do a semi bend through the handle or not. Any help would be great! Thanks, JOhn!

Offline Keenan

Re: Need Profile Help
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:39:10 pm »
John, With spliced billets you can't do a bend through the handle unless you pin it. With 1.25" I would be aiming on an ELB profile on the limb section. I just helped a guy finish a yew bow that is about that same width.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:03:01 pm »
I like John Strunk's yew longbow chapter in TBBI. I have built a couple bows using that as a guide and have been very happy with them. It's good to see you posting again, John. Hope everything has been well since the Sister's gathering.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:38:06 am »
thanks guys..weylin i have been really busy with work..i will look at johns chapter...hey keenan,i thought you would be enjoying the wilderness..the stave does have a pin in it...so,i might still try a shorter elb or do a lighter and shorter version of saxtons bow...by the way i need to get over some time to visit..i think my work might be winding down...later john

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:12 am »
Hey John, I've got a low elevation yew stave thats 62" long and maybe 1 3/8 or even 1 1/4 wide about 8 inches off the fade.  Bow is too short for a ELB I think. My plan is to attempt a semi bending handle, slightly rounded belly, add minimal recurve (enough to improve string angle but not lose too much working limb) and get as much limb bending as I possible can. The tiller will be a "fat" elipse, not a circle, but closer to that than a classic elliptical tiller.  Just sounds like a similar situation to what you're facing (except of course, mines a stave not billets).

Good Luck, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Maybe I'll post some pics of mine soon also...

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.