Author Topic: cherry backing ash  (Read 1424 times)

Offline paganarts

cherry backing ash
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:01:56 am »
Hi Guys

I'm new here, I absolutely hate white wood and I have a stunning bit of cherry. I want to back it onto ash but I know it doesn't like it. It would be a shame to hide the grain, is there a way of making it safer while still being able to see it?

Offline half eye

Re: cherry backing ash
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:36:25 am »
pagan,
     From my experience, your combination would be just "backwards". By that I mean the ash is real strong in tension and the cherry is better in compression (tension weak). If it was me I'd make the cherry the belly and the ash the back. This is just one guys opinion though and somebody else may have a "better" way to help out your question.
rich
PS:The belly should be quite "heavy" in relation to a real thin backer to keep the backer from causing compression problems  (overpower) the belly.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:53:10 am »
I love Cherry.  Especially Black Cherry.  It is a compression strong, tension weak wood.  I agree with Rich.  It's good belly wood, but often needs a backing (hiding it's beauty unfortunately).  My experience with it is that it can be brittle in tension.  I would reverse the design you mentioned or build a Cherry bow and back with rawhide.  If you build it long and wide enough, you may not need a backing, but it's very fickle wood in tension.  Maybe some others will chime in and shed some different light on this.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline paganarts

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:13:26 pm »
Thanks guys, I know the combination is back to front. What about fibreglass over the cherry laminate? (no cussing about fibreglass please)