Author Topic: Cool Colored Rat Snake  (Read 4920 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Cool Colored Rat Snake
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »
The guy who works in the office with me dropped by the other day to go out to the hog lease.  As we pulled out of the driveway he said he'd seen a dead snake on the road inside our development...so we headed out that way.  Picked up this beauty.

He dried nice and orange, I love this color in a rat snake.

I was gonna put him on my osage/juniper bow to finish it up, but he's too long.

He does have one tear where the tires got him.

I either need to build a bow to fit him or trade him to somebody that will.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Cool Colored Rat Snake
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »
Cool.  Is it wide enough to split in half and get two limbs out of it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:25:56 pm »
You bet a cool colored one.So that is what they call them.I got a call from a friend of mine saying there was a snake sticking out of a round hay bale.Its got those same omeba type shaped black spots on it too.I skinned it and it smelled real fishy so I thought it was a water snake.Whatever huh.Great find though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
Jorge, that's my snake.. It just got away... You best send it my way pronto  :laugh:

Clint they tend to be wide enough to split down the middle, but if you do that, you lose the cool pattern down the middle.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:16:47 pm »
Ed, snakes don't seem much different than fish to me when I'm cleaning them.  They for sure have a distinctive smell...and I don't necessarily mean that in a nice way, especially if they've been run over. ;)

It'd be close splitting it down the middle.  Be pretty narrow at the head and tail ends.  I tried to take the last copperhead and use both the belly and back side and they both ended up too narrow for a bow.  Too bad.  Cip, I was pretending to be you.  I've picked up 2 in the last month, obviously not in your league.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »
That sure is a dandy! I pic up road kill myself and usually tie them around the seat post on my long bike rides. The road rash will look awesome on Osage George. It looks more like a Western Fox ( variation of rat snake) .

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »
Great find George! I got "treated" the same way the other day, only Cip called mine a bull snake. (he also told me it was his and I should send it to him?!?)   ;)

Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:08:25 pm »
Yea, he thinks all snakes are his ... like he doesn't find enough.::) LOL  Looks like you split the hide down the side? I was toying with trying that but didn't.  Nice snake.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:45:58 am »
Man them are some beautiful skins ,wast not want not. ;)Nice save on them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 10:01:02 am »
George it was really easy with a pair of scissors. Just make sure to cut around the vent. I didnt and then pulled the tail off (stupid!  ::)) havent yet used the belly split on a bow, but I sure plan to.

Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:30:52 am »
I skinned from the tail back to the vent first, then when I came back the other way it didn't tear there.  Good idea on the scissors,  I used a boxcutter with the hook blade. I'm mailing mine off to Rich today.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:07:39 am »
I dare bet if that skin was soaked good and applied with titebond that that hole could be set or pulled together when put on and after drying you would'nt even be able to see it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 10:10:34 am »
Mine does'nt have that orange tint to it George.Good looking bull snake there too Scot.
BowEd
Ed

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 10:56:47 am »
I dare bet if that skin was soaked good and applied with titebond that that hole could be set or pulled together when put on and after drying you would'nt even be able to see it.

We should know soon. It's on its way to Rich (half-eye ) now and should be on the bow by the weekend.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:46:25 am »
George, you dont know how much I appreciate it sir. Ya make it easy for me to try and make this trade bow extra nice. Hope to do the skin proud on it.
rich