Author Topic: I'm P O'd  (Read 10501 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: I'm P O'd
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 07:46:59 am »
Heck Eddy, send him up here where I teach. He will be able to join the schools' endorsed archery teams from elementary, middle and high school. We have a lot of national archery champs at all age levels.

I couldn't work for the guy with my hobbies and beliefs if he's less than understanding about your grandson's culture!  ;)

Tracy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:25:45 pm by TRACY »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline agd68

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 08:41:52 am »
It's the same all over the place Eddie. Paranoia, ignorance and political correctness have taken over from common sense.Up here we have always been more conservative regarding guns and admittedly we do not have quite as big a problem with gun violence as our Southern neihbors.But it's not just with guns that society is going nuts. My  6
year old neice and 2 of her grade 1 friends had their parents called in and advised of their daughters sexual misconduct at school and warned if it happened again they would be suspended and child welfgare called. Their henious sexual offense ? They chased down a boy from their class and covered his face with Kisses. Used to be a stanard lunch break hazard when I was that age, getting covered with "Girl Cooties". Apparently it is phycological abuse to scare the girls with snakes and toads and uttering threats if you tell em you are going to make them eat worms.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline cracker

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:42 am »
Hey Eddie I have dealt with that crap with all the way through school you should have heard the rucus when they wanted the kids to write down what they wanted to be when they grew up and my son who is a great rifleman wrote that he wanted to be a sniper he was thinking for police or military and they were thinking hiding in the woods and shooting teachers. If they were better teachers maybe they wouldn't be so afraid of they re students. I don't know about where you guys live but they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for teaching and administrative staff around here. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 11:24:35 am »
I agree with Ron.  If the Principal and teacher who turned it over were better at their job they would place this into a proper context.

Heck, you know I'm a teacher myself.  Pat also hit it.  It's ignorance, plain and simple.  For them to single him out like this is definitely worth filing a proper complaint with the school board and possibly legal action.  He hasn't broken any laws.

I wouldn't get into the confrontation with the individual directly.  Doubt it would do any good.

I think I would consider filing a complaint with the higher power.  Perhaps standing during the public testimony time at a school board meeting.

If the boy hasn't made a single outward threat to a student than they have overstepped their boundary.  The man has no call to define what is "normal" for your family.  It's unethical and unprofessional.

Stephen
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 11:37:52 am »
  We might have a meeting at 11 am today with the Principle. I want to hear his thoughts about this before I do anything since I've only heard the 10 year old version.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »
Eddie:  I'm 73 years old and without trying to be out of line with these remarks I would like to say this is not the same country I grew up in!  From the ration days of the 2nd world war to the landing on the moon and all the wars since we have lost it has changed.  Was drafted twice and proud to serve my country.  Spent several years teaching at top down levels and have seen the changes to our way of life!  Our wolf and grizley problems are a good example.  Guess that's why I enjoy this forum and especially the visits to the Classic as it lets me know there are still some good and grounded people left!  I am just glad that I lived most of my life in the good old days!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »
im proud to say that i live in what i think is the only town in the U.S.that has an ordinance that every household shall posses a handgun.not that they enforce it.just their way of saying we are Americans.my son wore a shirt to school yesterday that said[ support the second amendment] and has various long guns on it.i asked where he got and he said mom got it with my other school clothes.i love that woman.-----my son also says he wants to be a marine sniper some day.

youngbowyer

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »
Fred, I've been downright liberal all my life and was tought character and morality and still practice both today. The problem is ignorance and it is a shame that that is how our society is run today.
  Eddie, it saddens me every time I hear a story like this. Legal action against the school and principal might be your best option. For a person in power like this principal to belittle a student for his or her beliefs and tradition is criminal in my opinion.
;)
Completely agree

youngbowyer

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 01:26:53 pm »
I'm not siding with the principal here but we should also look at it from his point of view. He has probably never been hunting or done anything in the outdoors and with all the violence lately he might have been a bit cautious.

Offline agd68

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »
Caution is one thing Youngbowyer, but if Paranoia and militantism are allowed to run unchecked then stuff like the Salem Witch hunts and such can flurish
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »
Eddie,

First I am sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this.  As a teacher I have always tried not to make my believes and views those of my students.  I am there in the classroom to teach and help them become life long learners, function in "middle class" societal norms, and expose them to many many different ways of doing the same thing.  Hunting, fishing, outdoors, archery and gathering are often in my lessons.  Draped over my sofa are various types of tanned furs. 

Under no circumstances should the principal categorize what he deems is "normal" for your grandson.  Ethically and morally he has no right to impart his views and or values on that boy. None.  This can and will fall under the First Amendment umbrella for your son.  Student's are afforded "freedom of speech and expression" based on the standard of "a reasonable" person. 

From this point forward document everything and ask that you/parents be present when the principal needs to speak to him.  If his right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression is being suppressed you can file a Title IX complaint with the US Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights.  You may also file a complaint with the campus against the principal.  Doing so "guarantees" no retaliation because being picked out or singled out for filing a complaint is worse than the initial offense. 

I will PM you my cell number and feel free to call me if need be.  I am NOT an attorney, I am a teacher, but unfortunately as a students I was subjected to discrimination, retaliation and more discrimination.  There was no recourse for me, but there is no reason for ANY body in this great nation to have to suffer such indignities. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 03:41:49 pm »
Now we did it we got Eddie and Cip fired up !!

Stay cool and think it thru but don't leave them off with lame excuses !
And don't back down when you get them going your way make sure that by the time your done they have an archery program in the school! http://archeryintheschools.org/activea.asp
Now calmly go get-em !!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 05:07:06 pm »
Pat B ain't the onliest liberal in here that is bothered by this.  Mind you, I think of my self as being about 3-4 microns left of center, bothered by extremists on each side, but this kind of talk is verging on politics.  Actually, it's well over the line into politics.  'Pologize. 

Here's hoping that the principle is a open minded without being empty headed!

If not, the kid is in for a long row to hoe in our current scholastic situation.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 06:07:26 pm »
after you have your little talk with this yahoo, if you come out with a bad feeling about this guy after the meeting, get an interdistrict transfer and into a differant school, cipp's method seems like a last resort but that may be what need's to happen, the problem is these educators spend alot of time with these kid's and have a habit of teaching their opinion's as fact, they have alot of influance with our kids, good luck with this eddie, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 07:37:23 pm »
  That would probably get a teacher in trouble today

Clint, I have students text their harvest pics and we put it up on the big screen through the computer for all to see while administrators congratulate the boy/girl. Heck, I have shared PA with them during non instructional time and they love it! Students need to feel they are valued for who they are!

I'm sure the guy is concerned for the safety of all the students, but common sense and a little communication will go a long way. Good luck with resolving the issue Eddie.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956