Author Topic: I'm P O'd  (Read 10502 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
I'm P O'd
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:22 pm »
I've got to vent! Really, before I say something to an Elementary school Principal and make it worse on my Grandson.

He's 9 and was called into the office this morning because the Principle said parents were calling and saying they were afraid of him. Here's why, He made a collage with pictures of what he did this Summer and his had pistols, long guns, bows and arrows and hunting.
the Principle asked him why and he explained about his first hunting trip and two archery tournaments he had gone to along with working with his Dad and wanting to be a gunsmith when he gets older.

Now, here's what really pissed me off; When he tried to explain about shooting his first pig with his Grandfather with my AR-15 (assault rifle) ::)and told him that going on his first hunting trip with me was not unlike boys going hunting with their Dad for the first time.

This Principle told him young boys hunting with their Dads was not common and he was worried about him having a knife collection and talking about guns. And then began to question him about the recent shootings in the Theatre and the Trevon Martin shooting down here. It didn't help when my grandson told him he new about the Trevon case and the picture the media was showing was when he was 14 and not the 17 year old Where he was tatted up and looked like a thug.

This kid has been Honor Roll and never missed a day of school and now we're worried this jerk is going to put something in his records like he's the next Columbine kid. Can you understand why I'm pissed.?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulsemp

Re: I'm P O'd
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:24:33 pm »
You can't say or do anything in this country anymore! Common sense has been replaced with fear mongering. A few bad apples ruined it for all. But is OK when they do it in violent video games!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:28:05 pm by paulsemp »

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »
that sucks Eddie.i remember having a pocket knife on me in grade school.now a days that would get you sent to reform school.if more kids were allowed to do these things,it might keep them out of trouble.i hope all goes well for you and your grandson.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »
That would tick me off to,we use to bring our guns and bows to school and go hunting after class!Things change,sometimes not for the better-Hammertime

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:28 pm »
Mullet, being a grandfather myself, I know how you feel.  As far as parents being afraid . . . There is a HUGE difference between an avid outdoor spoortsman and the monsters at Columbine, and the terorist in Colorado!  Had they taken the time to inquire, they'd have figured that out!  Boys hunting with their fathers and grandfathers is NOT uncommon.  I moved to the south over two years ago and NOT hunting with parents or grandparents IS uncommon.  You are right to be P'Od.  Please continue to use your grandparental influence, and keep an eye on the situation.  Please keep us posted.  As our rights seem to be eroding, we as outdoor sportsmen need to cowboy up and support one another.  If we don't . . . then who will?  Here's hoping everything works out for your grandson!

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »
Uh, Eddie it ain't that far from my house to yours. If you need backup...

Lane

youngbowyer

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »
Wow, unbelievable! I would give that principal a piece of my mind if it was me in that situation. Parents are so overprotective and worried nowadays, I think kids would be better off hunting and fishing than playing video games all day.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:19:39 pm »
The saddest part for me is It doesn't surprise me.
I like free stuff.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:04:13 am »
I hate to hear that Eddie.  Sounds like your grandson has a good head on his shoulders.  I'm hoping something like that doesn't happen in my kids school.  My oldest, 8, had to write a report about his favorite place.  He wrote about his Papa's knapping pit.  Think your thoughts thru and keep your head when talking w/ folks like that principal.  Teaching gun safety @ a young age is the best thing we can do for our kids.  Find the studies done about kids who grew up w/ guns and the ones who didn't when they were put in a room w/ a gun.  The kids who grew up w/ guns paid no mind to the weapon, the kids w/o gun knowledge couldn't keep their hand off the weapon.  In states like North and South Dakota, hunting is a family value, everyone does it, even Mom's, sister's and grandmothers.  That's how it is w/ my family from ND anyway.  Good luck w/ this Buddy.  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:13:59 am »
Thats what happens when college eggheads that have never been in the outdoors in there life get jobs like this.I bet he is from the city somewhere.Its sad how some people are trying to change our way of life by using our children.I think you and his Dad should have a come to Jesus meeting with this jerk.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:15 am »
You need to send the attorney down to visit this school. They need to have the lines drawn for them about what is appropriate.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:59 am »
That is sad Eddie.  Hopefully your grandson doesn't face any discipline action over this.  The best thing to do is keep your cool with the principal.  Getting upset and yelling will do nothing but add to his ignorant beliefs.  I think that if more Dads took their children hunting and instilled proper gun handling and respect for wildlife the world would be a safer place.  I bet that crazy guy that killed the people in the theatre never had a father that took him hunting. 

Schools sure have changed since I graduated in 98.  I had teachers that would bring pictures of deer they killed in to show the class.  That would probably get a teacher in trouble today.  I carried a Buck Goliath pocket knife every day to school from 10th grade on.  It's about 12" long when opened.  I had teachers borrow it and never say a thing to me about it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 02:06:19 am »
Eddie,
I know where you're coming from. Strange world we live in today.
Majority of the colleges that further our children's education are downright liberal.
Hopefully by the time our children spread their wings and depart we have already instilled the basic traits of character and morality to help them survive.

The teacher was probably momma coddled and never experienced the finer things in life. It's the world we live in. You can't really blame the teacher but you should do your best to teach him or her something that daddy and momma seemed to have neglected. (forgot, didn't know, didn't understand) 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 02:21:51 am »
Fred, I've been downright liberal all my life and was tought character and morality and still practice both today. The problem is ignorance and it is a shame that that is how our society is run today.
  Eddie, it saddens me every time I hear a story like this. Legal action against the school and principal might be your best option. For a person in power like this principal to belittle a student for his or her beliefs and tradition is criminal in my opinion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:16:15 am »
The sad part is we all live in our own little world,sadly most of the world don't think the way we do, and we have let it happen. I see it every day here at work.I am the exception not the rule. I agree with Pat[except for the liberal part]  ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good