Author Topic: Can you "un-stall" notches?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Can you "un-stall" notches?
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:27:58 pm »
I can make some darn good blades, but I am not driving my notches deep enough to mount an arrow well, are the heads too thick or something? . I had a great point going but I stalled the notches early and threw it in the woods! How can I stop this from happening?

-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Tower

Re: Can you "un-stall" notches?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:04:01 am »
Diamond files. Practice, practice, practice!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:42:23 am »
The best practice I know of is on debitage flakes. Run them as deep & close to each other as you can!  Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:29:38 am »
When in the pit @ the Classic this spring, flintwalker said something I found helpful.  He said, "You don't have to make a point everytime you work in the pit".  Meaning, you can work on flakeing or notching on pieces that arn't quite right for a point.  Like Don said, get a piece of debitage and drive some flakes or make some notches.  Don has made some really cool looking pieces with a lot of notches all the way around.  Good luck, and don't throw them into the woods, throw them back in the pit, someday you may find it again and realize it wasn;t so bad after all.   ;) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:34 am »
I dont want my hunting notches deep at all. The deep notches can make a point weak. I try to stall a notch so it wont cut my sinew. Sounds like you have half of the process down. Think of notching like knappin prepare the platform and then take the flake. The reason mine stalled as a new knapper was do to poor platforms leading to an edge that would colapse rather than allow a large flake to be removed. The best way to learn notching without frustration is to practice on flakes till you get the hang of things. This will help reduce that pile of "almost" points
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:15:37 pm »
Yes.

I knap with a guy who has ZERO tolerance for stalled notches, steps, and crushed platforms.  He's got one answer:  hand-held rotary tool with grinding wheel attachment.  Without shame, he will grind all obstacles into submission with great enthusiasm. >:D

My technique to let most of the "obstacles" remain and just try to minimize the ugliness.  I will make a notch as wide as I have to to get the depth I need, I will pick at steps until they are minimized, and I will loose as much width as I need to to clear away crushed edges.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:18:58 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:50:39 pm »
Worst case scenario:  I watched an expert knapper in the pit at the Classic three years ago pull out a folding narrow round diamond file and go to work on a stall!  ???  So I had to give that a try with a tool that only cost a few bucks.  My opinion is that it works and I will only use it if the point is worth saving.  There has been some good advise about initial preping and practice on spalls.  A very long time ago I started finishing my points and blades on the top of a padded 8" diameter log and that enabled me to increase the quality of my efforts.  Good Luck! A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:43:54 am »
Thanks guys, I may try a diamond file.
-Billy
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.