Author Topic: What's your bow building set up?  (Read 7282 times)

youngbowyer

What's your bow building set up?
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:44 pm »
Hello,
I'm interested to see what type of workshops and benches you guys use because i need some advice.
I currently have a wonderful place to make bows in, an unfinished basement that's all mine. However, I do not have a good bench to work on, I have a crappy little table that used to be on our patio. I do have a shaving horse but it's no good for hogging off wood with a drawknife. Does anybody have any reccomendations on something that would work well that I could put together myself without spending a lot?
Thanks, YB

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What's your bow building set up?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:24:48 am »
First of all, start scrounging scrap wood. Your work bench doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to be heavy. This one is heavy enough to not walk across the floor when I am stripping bark and sap wood off with my draw knife. I bolted my previous bench to the wall because it was much lighter. I bought a couple of drawer units from Lowe's to put in this bench because I am lousy cabinet maker. The post on the end of the bench is a necessity to keep your staves from getting loose in your vise. It gives you a solid support to work against.

The bow blank in the picture is getting a string alignment heat bend using the vise and the post.

A big American made vise is worth what you pay for it. I broke two or three Chinese vises before I dropped the cash for an American made one. I have since seen some great bargains on good old  American made vises at the local flea markets. The other day I saw a huge old Wilton that sells new for around $400 on sale for $40 at the flea market.

Here is my first work bench, scrap wood for the most part except for the 2X12 boards on top.
I had it set up in a 5X7 space at the back of my garage by the water heater, like I said, I had to bolt this one to the wall to keep it from walking away when I was doing some heavy draw knifing.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:59:39 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:50:47 am »
Not sure how much it cost,been a long time ago,but I feel sure it wasn't much. You can buy a vice that is plenty good for bow work for 30/40 dollars. A good steel vice is very high but for wood work a cast will do fine,we have 10 or 12 of them in our shop.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:52:26 pm »
I built a 4 x 8 bench with a 3/4" MDF top. I used 4 x 4's for legs and 2 x 4's for braces. It isnt anchored to my floor and I REALLY need to yank my draw knife to move it at all. Its nice having a large bench that can have 2 or 3 projects cooking at once. Floor space isnt much good in a shop anyway! Bench space is however.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:37:42 pm »

the only sorta bench ive worked on so far.
they really work great. with a good wood clamp and properly tightened, you can hog wood off no problem.
wild women don't get the blues

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »
I built a 4 x 8 bench with a 3/4" MDF top. I used 4 x 4's for legs and 2 x 4's for braces. It isnt anchored to my floor and I REALLY need to yank my draw knife to move it at all. Its nice having a large bench that can have 2 or 3 projects cooking at once. Floor space isnt much good in a shop anyway! Bench space is however.

Can you post a picture please?

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »
here are two thoughts on keeping your work from jumping around when hogging off wood:
1. My main workbench is a huge beam with a big vice on it. this beam is 2 feet wide, 10 inches thick and 6 feet long. the weight of the beam keeps it steady, I clamp it to a couple saw horses. Best place to find big beams is from old houses being torn down. Or you could glue together a bunch of 2x4's to make a big beam- which are also best found for free in demolition sites. the key to this approach is the weight of the workbench.
2. My other bow bench is a shaving horse built from 2x4's and such which is bolted to the floor for stability. It's not too difficult to drill a hole in concrete and bolt down whatever bench you have.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:49:03 am »
Yes it will move a little if I really get after it,so I have another big truck frame with a pipe fitters vice and regular vice I use for that if I really have some tough wood,it won't move. I could use it for all the work but I have it a kind of out of the way place.Here are a few more set ups.  :) You could always mount a pipe in the floor and a vice on top of it. :)I have the bow press mounted like that,just don't have a picture. :) Of course room isn't really a problem for me and I understand you want to keep it compact.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:30 am »
Another thing, I use my work bench for bow and flintlock building. I made it taller than a standard work bench so I don't have to bend over when I am working on a stave. A standard bench is about 36" tall, mine is about 42" tall with the vise jaws being 50" from the floor.

Cuz is about 6' tall, as you can see he doesn't have to bend over to work on a bow.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:58 am »

;D ;D ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 12:53:14 pm »
Ya I like that also Keenan and it dose pretty good hogging bark, Bubba really liked it when it wasn't in use. ;) ;D ;D also the stave press on a post,found the picture.Very stable. :) I miss old Bubba  :( at least this will give some ideas. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about Bubba. We lost our old guy of 19 yrs.  He was a great mouser and quite a character as well.  I have always chuckled seeing the pictures of him guarding your stavemaster

youngbowyer

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 02:04:41 pm »
I like your set-up Pappy ;) Looks easy enough to build and I assume the weight of those vises keeps it from moving around too much.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:38 am »
I picked up a plastic sawhorse, the thing is great, it has built in notches that hold a bow, the arms extend for different sizes, it raises, and there's a shelf on the bottom  for all my goodies.
-Peter
Arizona