Author Topic: tree id?  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Josh B

tree id?
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:03 pm »
I cut this along a small river in the Montpelier area of southeast Idaho.  It was growing in a nasty, dense, and thorny thicket.  Most of it was gnarled and twisted.  Any ideas as to what it is? Josh

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: tree id?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:39:32 pm »
Looks like hawthorne. Supposed to be pretty decent bow wood. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:53 pm »
I would agree...
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34:59 pm »
Want to say crabapple cause the leaves and fruit look just like the one in my front yard here in the midwest but now looking back at your pictures I think thats a thorn I see in there so good chance I'm wrong.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Hawthorne . Hard ,dense wood.Crooked as hell. I cut one last winter ,roughed it out to dry quicker ,without checking which worked great except it twisted well over 90 deg. from one end to the other. I heard you can tie them to a board while the dry to try to keep them straight. I have far too many agreeable wood species available to me that want to be bows, to be bothered with the revenge it wreaks for cutting it down. The ripe berries make a lovely jelly however!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:40 pm »
Sorta looks like a downy hawthorn (Crataegus mollis scheele).  South Quebec and Nova Scotia, south toWest Virginia and Alabama, west to South Central Texasand north to South East South Dakota
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:51 am »
Hawthorns hybridize like crazy, there are all forms of leaves on them. Bark also varies, but the fruit look all right.
Don't shoot!

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:23:50 am »
She's a wild crabapple alright.
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline anasazi

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 12:52:42 pm »
It looks a little like a thorn apple i saw once near oakley idaho but its been a while so im not sure

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »
The hawthorne I've cut warped n twisted even when I made it same width and thickness full length. Reduce it down to near bow dimensions,seal ALL surfaces with shellac and strap it down to a board. Then set in a cool damper place for a couple months and slowly let the moisture out.

Offline randman

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 05:34:23 pm »
Bark resembles Hawthorn but the leaves look nothing like any Hawthorne I've ever seen (especially here in the NW). My vote goes to wild Crabapple. The leaves look appley ;) (as well as the little flares on the botom of the fruit).  Having grown up in an apple orchard, I'm very familiar with apple leaves.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:31 pm »
Leaves and fruit look alot like crab apple,but the bark doesnt look like any crab apple i have seen. Also the wild crab apples around my neck of the woods are covered in thorns.
Steve Bennett

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 09:16:05 pm »
They are both closely related and both crab apple and hawthorn make good bows if you can find a piece straight enought to build a bow with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 03:27:33 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've spent the last couple days looking at hundreds of pictures trying to figure out for sure what it is. I gave up and decided to go with Pat's line of thought, call it bow wood and try to make a bow from it.  Thanks again,  Josh

Offline anasazi

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 01:56:28 am »
You could talk to a local arborist either at a college or power company