Author Topic: Hackberry Stave build up  (Read 8394 times)

kurogane_84

Hackberry Stave build up
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:47:06 pm »
Hello all, im the proud owner of a Hackberry Long bow stave it is total length of 73 5/8 inches and 1 inch and 5/16th in the middle of the handle and 3/4 inches at the tips, it has reflex, i believe thats what its called, it measured at 3 inches and alittle bit over 3/8ths reflex, the string was taught and centered

here are some pics and there are some more on my photobucket account, i really would like any and all advice everyone has, Toomanyknots roughed it out for me and he said it needs the following

you need to do with this stave from here is:

-Floor tiller,
-Carve some nocks,
-Long string tiller,
-Get it braced, and then tiller it out to your desired draw weight,
-Get it shot in,
-Remove tool marks and finish it however you want to.

can anyone give me advice on  what to do next, i believe its floor tillering, and they long string tillering, can anyone give me a brief tutorial on floor tillering and long string tillering??

http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy146/jmichelin/Hack%20Berry%20Longbow%20stave%20with%20reflex/

kurogane_84

Re: Hackberry Stave build up
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:23:41 pm »
here is an updated link to the pics, ive added pics of myself bending the stave, it was stiff, alot more than drawing my 60LB bow lol

http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy146/jmichelin/Hack%20Berry%20Longbow%20stave%20with%20reflex/

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »
This comes very timely as Coaster500 put a hackberry stave and other goodies in the mail for me yesterday.  I will seriously be watching this one.

kurogane_84

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:10 pm »
This comes very timely as Coaster500 put a hackberry stave and other goodies in the mail for me yesterday.  I will seriously be watching this one.

Mike ill probably watch yours closely if you post it, im putting mine on the back burner for now so i can learn more and practice on some board bows first

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »
Lol.  Ok, we'll look at mine.  I got the first package  from Coaster500 today.  Got some goat raw hide, Tite bond III and a sample of hackberry.  It's a real pretty wood and would make chasing a ring pretty easy.  At least I think that's what the small chunk of wood is.

At any rate, I will post a thread about it and do more videos on my youtube channel.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:02:10 pm »
No need to chase a ring once the bark is off.  Just be careful that you don't nick the back!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:22:52 pm »
Don't have to tell me twice.  I think Coaster500 may have taken the bark off for me.  I told him I always had that problem.

kurogane_84

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:26:06 pm »
Toomanyknots took the bark off and roughed the stave for me, i rasped some material off when i noticed the flex in the limbs when my mother took a photo of the bend there was more stiffness in the upper limb, it had some heart wood left i took it down a bit and it is bending better, i need to get more info on floor tillering and practice on board bows as it was suggested to me, and i want to make a form to make a recurve flat bow for a friend

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:44:02 pm »
Lol.  Ok, we'll look at mine.  I got the first package  from Coaster500 today.  Got some goat raw hide, Tite bond III and a sample of hackberry.  It's a real pretty wood and would make chasing a ring pretty easy.  At least I think that's what the small chunk of wood is.

At any rate, I will post a thread about it and do more videos on my youtube channel.

Mike the sample is not hackberry. It's a chunk of hardwood for the tips (I can't remember what hardwood I put in the box  :-\ ) I sent the rawhide so you could back the bow and not worry so much about it. I just want you to get a shooter :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:20:00 pm »
With your help and the help of everyone here and on paleoplanet, I should.  :)

kurogane_84

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:25:12 pm »
Same here Mike, same here, since ive been here ive learnt alot, and the members on here and Paleo, aswell as tradrag help alot, Grey wold on tradrag is very helpful, to the point i think hes sick of me asking questions LOL

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:32:13 pm »
 kurogane_84, you're on paleoplanet too?   Do you go by the same name or something different?  I go by the same on both.

kurogane_84

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »
i think its jmichelin84 i have too many log ins lol

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:26 pm »
That's why I try to stick with one. :)

kurogane_84

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:38 pm »
same here, but half the time theres a jmicheln out there LOL