Author Topic: "Went Wrong" -- my newest bow  (Read 12028 times)

8up

"Went Wrong" -- my newest bow
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:18:13 am »
Update !! This bow is now responsible for my first 2 trad kills a 7 point on sept 22 and another 7pt in velvet on the 24th  ;D

Ok I started my first backed bow. Its Boo backed Ipe. Not knowing what I was doing I pulled advice from websights and then tried to apply it. Sanding the boo down was a bit of a chore and even though I was told to get it down to 1/8" and that I could even taper it to 1/16" at the tips. I got it to 1/8" on the tips and it was 1/4" and thought to myself this thing is aweful flimsy. So I stopped sanding. (maybe mistake # 1)

Now I floor tillered the Ipe and got it to around 45# (just guessing) I was told the perry reflex and the backing would add at least 20#. I glued it up and when it dried let me tell you it was like I never floor tilled. It was at about 90# lol. (mistake #2)

Now I was lucky enough to be able to use pappy's #49 rasp to remove another 1/8" of the Ipe. The cheaper rasps just weren't working, they tore the wood and splintered the edges.  Everything was going good on the tillering board except that the Ipe is so dark it was hard to see the pencil marks from the tillering tool.

At about 24" I thought I heard something when exercising it on the board. I looked at the back and the belly and didn't see anything. (mistake #3) I continued to tiller it out to 26" (my draw length). It was 52#, I was shooting fo 50# so I was pleased. As I was taking it off the board my heart sank. (remember the noise I heard and dismissed) I saw daylight in between the boo and Ipe. The glue had failed from mid handle to about 4" past one fade. I was upset and ready to toss it in the trash out of anger. I had spent a solid week probably over 40hrs trying to get this bow ready so I could use it to kill my first deer with trad equipment.

Pappy suggested that I run some super glue in the opening and then either sinew it or wrap it with leather. I filled the gap with super glue until it dripped out the oppisite side and clamped it in the vise. After it was dry I tokk two 72" leather boot laces and soaked them in water. I laced them like you would a serving around the handle and let it dry. During the week I soaked the laced with repeated coats of super glue and then sanded it all smooth. I went out to Pappy's the following Saturday and put it on the tillering board only to find that my tiller was off. The fact that the Boo and Ipe had come apart had given me a false tiller you might say. I now had one limb to stiff at the fade and the other bending too much. I tried fixing the tiller and while its not perfect I was unwilling to lose more weight. I shot it and really liked it. At 44# it shoots harder than my 55# hickory.

While trying to stain the boo I got frustrated because the stain didn't want to dry. I took the stain rag and wiped the whole thing down with the walnut stain and laid it up for 24hrs. It dried but I had lost the light color of the oak accent strip in the handle and made the mesquite handle darker. (another mistake)

It seemed like everything "Went Wrong" When it was all said and done.  I have a Boo backed Ipe bow thats 44# @ 26" Its 59" NtN 1 1/4" at the fades and 3/8" at the tips. It isn't what I had hoped for cosmetically (even though its my family's favorite) and it did come in under weight. It still a sweet shooter and my hardest hitting bow. Pappy shot it several times and was drilling the bullseye like it was one of his own. My last mistake was shooting it the first day I didn't spray any permanon on like Pappy tells me too. I got 37 ticks 1 which was carrying Lyme disease. I have a 6" bullseye on my stomach and they started me on meds today.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:26:08 pm by 8up »

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Re: "Went Wrong" -- my newest bow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:38:44 am »
Looks pretty good to me 8up.  If my first backed bow turns out that nice I'll be ecstatic!  :-)  If it's not exactly what you want, there is always the next one!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 05:38:24 am »
Nice job Ron,very sweet little bow,now go take some game with it.I shot this bow and it is a sweet shooter and very smooth.I don't do composit bows but this one made me at least think about it. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 06:58:21 am »
Don't look to bad Ron, sounds like it was a learning experience for ya. Good luck with the Lyme meds.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

makete

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:54 am »
Ouch, sorry to hear about the ticks!!!!! Hope everything works out for you there. The bow looks good though.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:16:34 am »
Turned out well. Good job. How about a side view unbraced?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:26:20 am »
I like it - will try one myself one day. Durn parasites >:(
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:27:25 am »
Awesome! Fixing things that go wrong is definitely a part of bow making. Nice job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:39:49 am »
You done good, Ron. These ones you help along end up be the best.  Way to stick to it!   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

8up

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:02:09 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. I definitly learned a few things on this one. I wish I knew what caused the glue failure. Was it the glue? Was it the short handle? Was it because I left the boo too thick in the handle area?

I do have another boo/ipe planned for my next one. We caught the Lyme early so I will be fine.

Marc is this the view you wanted? If not tell me what you would like to see.

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 01:06:02 pm »
Ron, nice bow! And good to hear you will be okay.

Pilots have a saying that any landing you walk away from is a good landing. :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 01:08:37 pm »
Looks good to me, Ron. And an efficient 44# bow can shoot harder and faster than an inefficient 55#er. Should be plenty of weight for a deer bow. Great job correcting all the mishaps, looks like you wound up with a good'un in the end.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 01:15:02 pm »
No wonder it went wrong ,you are shooting it off the wrong side,I thought I told you that,
um kids they just don't listen. ??? ;D ;D ;D Glad you caught it in good time that spot was going to mess up your table. ;D Looks like it is still standing good and straight. :)See ya Sat.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

8up

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 01:34:16 pm »
With groups like this I will keep shooting it off the "wrong side"

Rich Saffold

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 02:28:02 am »
Ron, Your bow came out real good! All that adversity will pay off on subsequent bows..Glad that you are going to get past the lyme problem..Scares me just thinking about that..

Rich