Author Topic: double record-setting Burmese python has been found in the Florida Everglades.  (Read 5672 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Interesting story.. I bet this things would be fun to hunt.

Cipriano

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/holy-herpetology-burmese-python-found-record-87-eggs-193035561.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

A double record-setting Burmese python has been found in the Florida Everglades.

At 17 feet, 7 inches (5.3 meters) in length, it is the largest snake of its kind found in the state and it was carrying a record 87 eggs. Scientists say the finding highlights how dangerously comfortable the invasive species has become in its new home.

"This thing is monstrous, it's about a foot wide," said Kenneth Krysko, of the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida. "It means these snakes are surviving a long time in the wild, there's nothing stopping them and the native wildlife are in trouble."

The giant female python was discovered in the Everglades National Park and had been stored since May in a freezer at the museum; on Friday, researchers at the museum studied its internal anatomy, making the wild discovery.

Florida is the world capital for invasive reptiles and amphibians, and the Burmese python, native to Southeast Asia, is one of the state's most prominent new residents. The snake was introduced to Florida by the exotic pet trade three decades ago and is now one of the region's deadliest and most competitive predators. [See Photos of Record Burmese Python]

"They were here 25 years ago, but in very low numbers and it was difficult to find one because of their cryptic behavior," Krysko said in a statement from the University of Florida. "Now, you can go out to the Everglades nearly any day of the week and find a Burmese python. We've found 14 in a single day."

Officials worry that the snakes pose a threat to humans, as well as to native, endangered species, which turn up in the pythons' stomachs. This record-breaking, 164.5-pound (75-kg) specimen found in Everglades National Park had feathers in its belly that will be identified by museum ornithologists, the researchers said. Research published this year suggested the pythons are not only eating the Everglades' birds but they're also snatching, and likely swallowing whole birds' eggs.

Population estimates for the Burmese python in Florida range from the thousands to hundreds of thousands, the researchers said. Studying this massive female specimen with dozens of babies on board could help scientists understand how to curb the spread of the python and other invasive animals.

"By learning what this animal has been eating and its reproductive status, it will hopefully give us insight into how to potentially manage other wild Burmese pythons in the future," Krysko said.

Previous state records for Burmese pythons found in the wild were 16.8 feet (5.1 meters) long and 85 eggs, the researchers said.

Follow LiveScience on Twitter @livescience. We're also on Facebook & Google+.
7 Shocking Snake Stories Image Gallery: Snakes of the World Image Gallery: Invasive Species Copyright 2012 LiveScience, a TechMediaNetwork company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Wow that is a snake. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Still want to come down here and play, Pappy? ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mitch

New sport, Python giging  >:D
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
I dont see any good reason industrious folks arent selling python hunts yet. Maybe I need to move to FLA and get it started. That would take care of some of the infestation in a hurry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

What do they do with all these invasive snakes when the catch them?  I see a lot of tv shows where they are catching them, but they don't ever say what happens to them.  I would love to get some python skins.  How cool would a back quiver made out of one piece of 17' snake skin be  :o
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
Mine had only gotten to 14" by the time he passed at the ripe old age of 14
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline coaster500

I'd say a 17+ foot Python would yield a skin as thick as Bull Rawhide!!!

I'm thinking Quiver, Boots, Sofa and Office Chair out of that one :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline osage outlaw

And chaps  :o
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jimbob

Interesting story.. I bet this things would be fun to hunt.

Studying this massive female specimen with dozens of babies on board could help scientists understand how to curb the spread of the python and other invasive animals.

"By learning what this animal has been eating and its reproductive status, it will hopefully give us insight into how to potentially manage other wild Burmese pythons in the future," Krysko said.

The answer seems pretty clear to me......allow people to hunt them. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
It's legal to hunt them with a $50 permit. Stomping through the Everglades isn't as easy as it sounds.
Lakeland, Florida

Grunt

When I was serving at Khe Sanh in Vietnam my squad was blowing trees to clear fields of fire. We would pack a shaped charge of C-4 into a wedge cut into the tree and take it down. We blew one tree and one great big pissed off python came out of the top. What did a squad of heavely armed Marines do when confronted with this snake? We took one look and ran back up the hill as fast as we could. That was one big snake.

Offline Jimbob

Is that $50 per snake?  Seems like it would be easy for the guys with airboats.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
It's $50 for the season, no bag limit. It's easy to get to where the snakes are by airboat. But then you have to get out and start crawling through the bushes. And also, Pythons aren't the only snakes in the bushes you are crawling through and they are poisonous.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Jimbob

Yeah that does make a heck of a differance.

Lt. General James Gavin