Author Topic: my bow so far *update*  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Mike_H

my bow so far *update*
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »
Let me know if I really screwed up please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYbBmUVH7Sk&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:04:03 am by Mike_H »

Offline tom sawyer

Re: my bow so far
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »
The handle thickness may be a problem, its very thin.  You need it to be stiff so the limbs only bend into the fades.  I'd glue a piece on the belly side of the handle.  Otherwise I'd be afraid it woulc either crack or bend enough that you'd get a crack coming in from the fades.  You have to keep any bending from reaching though the fades on both ends of this design, twice as tricky as a conventional tiller.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:48:15 pm »
that's what I was afraid of.  As I said in the video, I plan to back it.  I might tweak the fades a bit so they match a bit more.  Thanks for the input.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:35:50 pm »
What Lennie said,if it bends at the fads it will pop a splinter,not sure backing will help that. Keep us updated. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:50:07 pm »
Will do, Pappy.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:22:52 am »
would evening up the fades keep it from braking?  That's what I've been contemplating on doing but I'm not sure.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:21 am »
It might,you just have to be sure and leave it a little thicker out of the fads and inch or so where it won't bend where you violated the longitudinal grain cutting them in. It would be just like a run off on the side of a stave/board. Hope I am being clear. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:21 pm »
I think I understand Pappy.  I planned on leaving the fades a little thicker anyway.   If it does break, I get another board and go for a D-bow instead.  Really should have done that in the first place.

Offline Mike_H

Re: my bow so far *update*
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:59 am »
I was lying in bed this morning and it hit me like a ton of staves.  I 'm fallowing Almostapighunter;s build-a-long on his youtyube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BoarriorBows.  He had the fade at the static limb 3/4" and I had mine at 1".  I just redrew the lines to 3/4" and she looks good!  Scared myself there for a bit.  As far as the handle, his is the same thickness and it worked.  I just plan of having the fades there thicker than I would have originally.