Author Topic: Anyone want a dogwood arrow build-along?  (Read 66938 times)

Offline Whitebeam

Re: Anyone want a dogwood arrow build-along?
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2012, 04:18:20 pm »
I read somewhere about blood used as a sealant - might add colour too?

Edit: Here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29702.msg393260.html I think...

Further edit: Just noticed milk-paint too: http://www.earthpigments.com/casein/milk-lime-paint.cfm

Peter
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:27:16 pm by Whitebeam »

Online iowabow

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »
Yes that skim milk must have some oil in it. That is why I have been adding some egg to the mix.

I need to make some notes here on the white paint.
1. The mix I used was hide glue made from deer hide glue and egg.
2 You need to keep the lime very wet so it has a head of water on top. My problem was how to get the paint thick. The solution was simple. You double boil the hide glue to 140. Then add the lime and stir till thickness is achieved by way of dehydration. Once the paint/glue is close remove and cool to 90 then add paint slowly to egg. Start painting, as mix cools it will start to harden because the hide glue proteins are reforming chains.  The paint will not look white at first and that is OK because a chemical change with the CO2 in the air needs to take place.
Things I don't know yet...can clear pine be used to top coat. My thoughts are yes

Notes on brush the binding of paint brush fills with pigment and makes the brush difficult to use. Solution to ....mix with stick and then dip brush half way into paint
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:04:56 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Online iowabow

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »
Hey I could use a little help here. I like the way the tail feathers have three color and pattern changes in them toward the tip. I know that these have a lot of potently if used the right way. Would any of you have examples of arrows fletched with tail feather that use the feather all the way out to the tip. I would like to see how others have designed theirs before I experiment. I like a three fletch

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2012, 01:15:18 am »
I hope you are documenting this to some degree John.Sometime this winter when cabin fever sets in you can organize it.This would be useful for more people than you think.I'm glad your motivated enough to follow through with everything.Those turkey tail feathers would look nice on those shafts.I'm gonna nickname you the mad chemist pretty soon....LOL.Keep the faith.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Whitebeam

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:21 am »
Dunno about the fletch, but did you see the bow backed with such feathers? Stunning piece of work!. I just wish I had a box full so that I could give it a go.

Peter

Stringman

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2012, 10:45:41 am »
Looking good, John. If youre wantin to use the end of the feather then don't split the quill. Instead use a sharp knife and cut off the feather on one side.  That will give you more spine to work with.

I agree that will look good on those shafts, but I think 2 fletch will probably fly equally well. Since you have already put the work into bare shaft tuning, fletch is mostly just asthetic at this point (plus a decelerant to a small degree.)

Scott

Online iowabow

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:55 am »
Thanks Scott. Her is an updated color list

color list:
stains I have made.

Brown Walnut- from walnut shells
rose red- Staghorn sumac, wild black cherry (not the choke berry this is why it tasted bad), blackberries.
purple, from the wild black cherry and blackberries

mineral paints
Burnt Sienna- from Red iron oxide stones found in red clay deposits
black- from ground charcoal
Burnt umber- should be able to mix the charcoal and red iron
white- from processed shells
yellow ochre- I found this in the mud rock above the limestone deposits

Upon reading more I have found that the geodes of this region may contain an abundance of minerals that color could be made from....stay tuned going to write an article and see if PA likes it.

so I will wrap this post up with a couple of pictures of a finished arrown with a point on it here in a couple more days.

There is just multiple combinations

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
Yep looking forward to the pics.Now don't lose em OK.......LOL.Or just lose one into the boiler region of a deer.Big accomplishment in my book.I know I'll start calling you the medicine man.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2012, 01:14:47 pm »
Here's a picture of some roughly trimmed turkey tail feathers for my "stone age privet" arrow.  I ended up trimming the light color off the very end because I found the fletching a little too large if I left it on.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12020.15.html

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Online iowabow

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2012, 04:54:01 pm »
Thank you Patrick. This was very helpful.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »
 :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline AJMag

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2012, 07:33:39 pm »
This sure turned into a heck of a build along.  Still not sure how it went from dogwood building to homemade color pigments, but it's pretty cool. Definitely going to have to reread a few time to let it soak all in and combine with some searches to solidify with what I haven't learned yet relating to the color making.  But I agree that this could make a pretty good series of articles for the mag if you got a little more in depth in each step and each different type of process you went through. All in all, great read!

Online iowabow

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »
Lol welcome to my brain! I thought it would be cool to show you how I made arrows but it became a run away train in my head. This post shows how there are so many steps to what looks like a simple arrow. Gee I even spared you a 10 page post on making an abo point lol. I made a special point for this shaft because it need to be real sharp and long to go with the long feathers.

Online iowabow

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »
Here is the point I made this afternoon. It is 125g

Online iowabow

« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2012, 11:08:02 am »
Notched shaft with arrowhead