Author Topic: Bow performance tillered to different draw lengths  (Read 1595 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Bow performance tillered to different draw lengths
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:55:18 am »
OK, this may be a really silly question, but I've asked silly questions on here before.  So, most of you will not be surprised.

My draw length is 26"

First, I'm going on the assumption the average poundage per inch drawn increases/decreases about 3# per inch.
So:
60# @ 28"
57# @ 27"
54# @ 26"

My question: If I making a bow that I might give away at some point an I tiller to 60# @ 28" will it effect the performance greatly at my draw length/weight of 54# @ 26"? 

Well, I just anwered that question in my head while I was typing.  Via mass theory the bow would probably be over built at the 26" draw OR under built--taking set if I pushed it to 28" draw.  Thinking out loud here: my best option in this scenario would be to tiller the bow to 27".  Mass would be only slightly over for my draw and slightly under for a 28" draw.

With all the bow trading and bows give away by you guys, I'd love to know how you deal with this issue.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bow performance tillered to different draw lengths
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:18:40 am »
Make senses to me,if I am giving one away I usually just tiller to 28 unless I know who I am giving it to then tiller to there draw length + 1 inch and don't worry about it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:12:39 am »
The difference in mass for a 26 and 28" draws is very minimal and I wouldn't worry about 2" of difference. And ya might incur 1/4" more of set maybe(pending on how well it was built etc..)drawing it two more inches. Again,nothing to worry about in my book,just as long as there is still room in the design of the bow to be pulled two more inches then who cares. Just ease it on out an inch more at a time and monitor your weight,tiller,and set.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:36 am »
Tillering to 28" is just a standard that came about so a bow could be tillered at a desired weight for the average draw length, so a bow could be built for whoever ends up with it. If you want a certain weight bow for you, then tiller it to that weight at your draw.
That said, tiller is tiller, and it's all about the energy imparted by the limbs and how they recover equally upon release. That is where your performance is. O.K. now you have to define performance, and that's another thread. I tiller to 28", but shoot for the weight I want at my 27" draw (gettin' older) because I know I'll end up handing it to other people to shoot at MOJam or something and I don't want it over drawn; at least not too much. :o

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:57 pm »
Thanks guys.  That put my mind at ease, a bit.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw