Author Topic: Footing wood arrows, and bamboo finished shaft sources  (Read 4240 times)

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
Footing wood arrows, and bamboo finished shaft sources
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:30 pm »
I have switched to a thumb draw and I need shafts a minumum of 33" so I'm looking to lengthen my existing 11/32 wood doug fir arrows, and/or switch to bamboo.

I'll need a spine between #70-80 depending on the point weight I use, but I prefer about 250gr. I'm not sure walmart bamboo will fit the bill.

I haven't even seen a bamboo arrow in person, but most of what I have read about them they are resiliant, and make a fine shaft. I don't think I'm quite ready to make my own yet, but fletching bare shafts, and installing points is not a problem for me. But making self nock seems a little daunting.

IF I were to stick to doug fir or cedar shafts, is there a way to add a rounded 2-3" section where the back half is glued on like a glue-on point?  Maybe made of ash? what tools are available for this?

Thanks!

Angel
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Footing wood arrows, and bamboo finished shaft sources
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:04 pm »
There is a company called Reparrow, I think, that sells shaft footingd made of hardwood. I believe they fit a standard broadhead taper and are just glued in place. I've never used them so I'm just passing on info.
  Ask on "The Trading Post" for cane the length you want. Someone is lible to have some they will trade you. No money talk on The Trading Post!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline warpath

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:53:24 pm »
Angel-  there's a conical drill bit you can buy at almost any hardware store or Home Depot. Just make sure that you get the proper diameter and degree of taper. 7 degrees is the angle you want.

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:57:52 am »
Thanks, Pat and Warpath, the search for Reparrow showed me a tool called Arrow-fix, The reparrows are $15 per dozen, and the Arrow-fix is $150.

I'll see how much the 7 degree conical bit is, and a shaft taper tool will run me, I'm sure I can rig up a jig to keep the conical bit centered.

Somehow I have enough 11/32 pieces around to foot a few of them....

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:00:54 am »
I saw the Reparrow guy at MOJam. I bet they would work for your current arrows, then you can make longer ones later. Don't be afraid to make bamboo/cane arrows. They're great, but it's addicting!

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:35:04 pm »
Why don't you make double footed arrows. There are not that hard to make. There sure look better than those made using arrow fix if you ask me.

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »
Bamboo does look addicting, but I'm not sure if i'll have the time. Has anyone had any luck with the guy from China on fleabay? he has some spined 39.5" arrows available with horn nock inserts for a cheaper than carbon arrow prices.

how does one double foot an arrow? google isn't helping much....

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »
I would do as Stefan suggests  -  double foot them.  I think they would look great - cedar or ash arrows with say, walnut point and nock footings - all under a nice clear poly.  Would be gorgeous. 

The same way you add a footing to the point end of a shaft, you would then do the same to the nock end.  If you are not sure how to foot an arrow, do a search here, there are many posts detailing the process.

Russ