Author Topic: New to bow-making looking for input  (Read 10450 times)

Beleg813

New to bow-making looking for input
« on: September 16, 2007, 02:37:17 pm »
Hello,

I've been interested in making bows for at least a year or two. I think all of them regardless of perfect tiller, type of wood, recurve, flatbow, etc. are all pieces of artwork and I find myself staring at them for aesthetic pleasure alone. I have a bow, but it is of fiberglass make (a replica of a Mongolian horse bow--so pretty I'm scared to shoot it) Just something overly enticing about making my own bow from a chunk of wood to something that can provide me with food, needless to say I was bitten a while ago. I have and read all three The Bowyer's Bible books, along with some flintknapping books and a DVD all of them seem to be invaluable resources. I've looked through this website a great deal, and to say that I found it informative would be the understatement of the century.

First, I'm a bit confused as to the best starting point for "tools" would be. I live in an apartment so space is extremely limited, but I've got the best most understanding wife ever (that may change when I start crowding the place with wood chips and sinew in the freezer). What tools would be a great starting point for a beginner? I know that everyone likes their tools for a reason, but a general tool set would be great. I'd like to lean away from power tools just because of space. I have a deck but it's not the biggest, and overall storage is quite a concern at this point.

Second, I absolutely love the pyramid style bows..it seems I really like the particularly short ones that are wide at the fades and sleekly move in a straight line to the thinner nocks just makes me grin ear-to-ear. I was thinking of making a bow from a board it seems that I'm a bit overwhelmed (and still don't understand) by the prospect of cutting down a satisfactory tree and knowing what separates that from firewood. I was thinking perhaps Hickory or Red Oak, it seems they are very sturdy and the likelihood of a large selection at Home Depot or Lowe's seems higher. Any suggestions as to general dimensions for a "shorter than average, but not incredibly difficult for the very beginner" would be great.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to all those who started this fine resource and those who continue to make it a fine resource :)

Very respectfully,

Brandon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: New to bow-making looking for input
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:01:09 pm »
Brandon, welcome. There's plenty of help available on this site. Also, my site is shown below. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Beleg813

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:21:27 pm »
Thanks George,

I've been looking at both sites to get answers to my questions. I guess I respond better to a "Ok, do this." with no other possible ways to do it, and no room for leeway. ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:11:48 pm »
A good starter set of tools would be a sharp hatchet, farriers rasp, chain saw file and a cabinet scraper. These, and some sweat, will get you from stave to bow. A method of holding the stave while you work on it is almost a must so a vice attacher securely to a sturdy bench or a bowyers bench will come in handy but a good clamp and a sturdy hand rail or deck bench will also work.
   Welcome Brandon. Sounds like you will fit right in around here.  ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Beleg813

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:20:56 pm »
Thanks Pat,

I've made a list of reoccurring tools that the far more experienced than myself people use. I'd prefer more traditional tools (just like the one's you've listed), but at this point I'd just like to begin. I'm itching to say the least.

It's upsetting that I'm so very limited by work space ( a very small balcony ). I can't wait to be rich and retired with lots of acreage :D

Harrifer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:35:36 am »
A jack plane, a sharp hatchet, a set of cabinet scrapers and a knife have been my main tools in my short experience. I would definitely stress the hatchet and plane, I was lost without them.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 09:54:17 am »
OK do this. :) Start with boards. There are some buildalongs on my site. Take a look at the board buildalong. Tools are described there. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 01:20:14 pm »
I have built several with a draw knife file and cabinet scraper,I mounted a small vice to a short
4x4 block that had 4 legs and was just enough room to set on one end,It takes a little longer
[well a lot longer] to do it like that but the outcome is the same ,it ant a race anyway.Look
at the jawges site and ask questions and you will be fine,first step is to get started,it isn't nearly
as overwellming as it seems once you get to making shavings.Welcome a board and have some
fun and try not to take it to serious,it is just a piece of wood. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Beleg813

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 05:18:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I've poured through both Jawge's site and this one for a "standard" set of tools, but I suppose I'll have to start first to get  'feel' for the job, and then move on from there.

I'll try not to take it seriously, but I can't make any promises!!

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:43:26 pm »
If you want cheap tools, get a spoke shave(flat base)I use it for all shaping unless you have a stave that you're trying to get close to dimensions, then I recommend a hatchet or draw knife.  get a used old butcher knife (about 12" I like the old carbon ones cause their easier to file then stainless) and take leather and wrap it around the point end thick so you can't get poked or cut then wrap it with electrical tape leaving about 3-4" of blade exposed as a scraper, file at a 90 degree angle across the sharp exposed edge to form a burr thats your cabinet scraper, a chainsaw file is pretty cheap otherwise get some cheap hacksaw blades and tape them together to get your nock thickness, and last but not least a 4 way file. this is my tool kit, probably about $30 worth.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 10:10:32 pm »
  The first bow I made from a stave was with a hatchet,pocket knife and small meat cleaver.I still use the cleaver after some modifications.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Beleg813

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 07:03:38 pm »
thanks for the replies, guys. I'm getting a very good idea (and keeping things at a low budget is a big plus)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 10:24:58 am »
I used a fish fillet knife for a long time for a scraper wit good results.O and I take it serious but you just can't let it get you down when something goes wrong. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Eric Garza

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:28:01 pm »
Hey Brandon, you seem to be in the same position I was in when I got started a few years back!

As far as tools, I use four:  10 inch draw knife, rasp file (doesn't have to be a farrier's rasp), cabinet scraper and a chainsaw file to make nocks. 

As for wood, I'd visit any local hardware store that sells boards.  Home Depot sells red oak, and I've made a few nice bows from boards that I've bought there.  If you can find someone who sells hardwood lumbur you can look for hickory boards or another type of oak, but it gets a bit pricier.  The important thing is to find a board where the grain travels from one end to the other, or nearly so.  I'd go for a 1 x 4 or something close to this if you want to take a shot at a pyramid-style bow.

I'd also get a piece of fabric for backing, and some gelatin or hide glue granules.  Cotton or linen are fine, and hemp is nice as it's very strong.  I'd back a board bow like this, just in case it's a little too dry or in case the grain isn't ideal.  No one likes having their first bow shatter...

I'd think you should be able to get all of these tools, a couple starter boards and the fabric for less than $100.

As far as space, do you have any natural areas nearby?  I used to live in a small, cramped apartment with a roommate that was less than amenable to my bow-making habits.  Luckily there was a stretch of woods out behind the complex and I found a few trees with branches that held a stave pretty well while I used my draw knife and other tools.  Hence most of my bow-making was done outdoors, which worked out fine.  A little chilly in the winter, but hey...

Steps:

1.  Lay bow out on board

2.  Rough shape with draw knife and, if need be, rasp

3.  Work on belly of limbs and floor tiller with draw knife (if you're comfortable doing this) or rasp

4.  Once the limbs are bending a little and the bow is shaped the way you want it, scrape the bow's back, dip a long strip of the fabric in hide glue and press it against the bow's back.  Add a couple extra layers if you want, although one is probably enough.  All you need to do is prevent a splinter from rising.

5.  Once the backing dries (2-3 weeks) finish tillering the bow.  You'll need a tillering string or the bow string you'll be using.

6.  Make a string, if you don't already have one, and some arrows and play safely!

Beleg813

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 06:31:43 pm »
I'll try not to take it too seriously Pappy--thanks for the advice :) Actually, Eric there is a small patch of wooded area behind my apartments, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go in them. I was shot down by the apartment manager lady when I showed her the bow and asked if I could shoot 'em back there. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to whittle down the board perhaps on my railing (which my neighbors don't like, but that's fine because i don't particularly like them either). I'm going to, well hopefully, get started on my tillering tree-the portable version-this weekend and pick up a few red oak boards from Home Depot---and we'll see where I can get from there!!!

I'll keep you all posted, rain or shine  ;D