Author Topic: yew miwok  (Read 7049 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: yew miwok
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 12:12:02 pm »
Nice work.  The tiller looks good and the painting even better.   Is the belly heat treated?   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
Tom: When I unbrace the bow and lay it on the ground the senter lays on the ground while the sides come of slightly like 1/2 inch on each side, and then the recurves gracefully face the sky. Heres a link to a pic
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=417335064978915&set=a.210148505697573.51834.100001072759384&type=3&theater

BB: thanks
James: thanks!
Matt: Go for it, you are going to love the feel of these little bows. Im glad you are inspired that way we can all see a beauty once you are done. or maybe build along?
Thanks Mullet. Any pics?

Ron the Belly has been heat tempered. I tempered it after I applied sinew just slightly to even up the reflex on the limbs, worked great.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 03:19:26 pm »
Great looking *Maidu* style bow

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:47:51 pm »
Legionarire,  Thanks for the post and info about the heat treating.   One of my current projects is similar and this gives me ideas/ options.   ....as well as the chance to admire your creation.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 09:48:18 pm »
Very nice little bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 10:18:38 pm »
You do look happy as well you should, what a work of art ;) job well done ceaser, job well done
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:48 pm »
Cesar, in response to your pm. First of all I want to say "another fine bow". I have seen quite a few by you on this site. Your bow is very close to narrow Maidu and Modoc bows I have seen. The pin nocks, fur, paint, recurve and yew. The Miwok bows were this general shape with the typical California lemon cross section, but made of incense cedar and California nutmeg. They did make simple self bows like this but all the sinew backed bows had the famous hook nocks made of sinew extending past the wood tips. Some bellies and backs were stained but never painted with geometric designs.  Love the bow though. Hope i dont sound like too much of a know it all

Offline Traxx

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »
I hafta agree with Chuck on this one,although,Maidu might be a stretch as well.Most maidu bows had a definite paddle to them,although not as wide as others.I have seen what were labled as Maidu bows,that were narrow,such as this one and im shure they belonged to a maidu.I wonder though,if they were not of Wintu or even maybe Piaute origin,and traded for,or perhaps,spoils of a handgame.I mean,if i won a nice bow,that shot well,id use it even though it wasnt made of my nation,Wouldnt you?LOL
I think it would be safe to call it a real nice  bow,Of Ca native style,and be happy with it.I know i would be.