Author Topic: 55" knotty white oak recurve  (Read 6642 times)

Offline H Rhodes

55" knotty white oak recurve
« on: July 31, 2012, 06:08:27 pm »
This little bow is 55" tip to tip and 50lbs at 28".  It is 1 3/4" at the fades, bend thru the handle, semi-pyramid tapering to 3/8 inch tips.  Heat treated white oak continues to amaze me.  This bow had a hole in a knot middle of one limb that I filled with saw dust and superglue.  The other limb has big knot about seven or eight inches from the handle which I left fairly proud.  It does have about an inch and a half of string follow but has great early string tension.  A very sweet shooting little bow.  This one is from the same tree as the leftover stave bow that I posted previously.  I have started another bow from the best split from that tree and it promises to be a really good bow.  I will post it when I get her finished. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:22:30 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline oscar3b

Re: 55" knotty white oak recurve
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »
I've been wanting to do a bow like this for some time now.  I've always loved recurves!  How did you bend your tips?  Heat gun?  Boil them?  It looks like I've going to get my chance soon, with a 60" black locust stave of mine.  The only problem is it can't bend through the handle due to a giant knot that goes almost all the way from back to belly, and almost halfway through from one side to the other.  It may break, but I think that I might try it.  Great bow man!
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »
Sweet! Love the coloring on it.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:48:20 pm »
Thanks oscar3b!  I steamed it for forty-five minutes over a pot on the stove and then clamped the bend right quick to my little bending jig.  I bet you could get by with a non-bending handle in a 60 inch bow.  Good luck with your bow.  I am falling in love with these little recurves.  They really shoot sweet and are easy to carry in the woods.

Thanks Tortoise!  I stained it dark since I plan to hunt with every bow I make.  I am not a real slick finisher.  I even left rasping/sanding marks in it.  One of these days I will learn to slow down and pretty one up, but I seem to be in a lather to get to my next one asap  >:D  It is an addiction....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:52:32 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 06:48:34 pm »
Nice work, I suppose you're practicing up for the best stave?  Thats a good idea.  That one looks like a keeper though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 06:54:36 pm »
Exactly Tom.  I really wanted to be sure I understood the way this wood behaves before I started on the best piece of it.  I have learned so far that Mississippi white oak rocks!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:10:32 pm »
Been sneakin over here and gettin my wood, huh? ???  Well, I guess you did alright by it. Good job, Howard!! :laugh:
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »
Like seeing oak bows....don't see enough! :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »
cool bow tiller looks good.
bryan irwin

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have built a couple of bows from red oak boards, but white oak staves are far superior bow wood.   Yeah Kenny, I have a friend of mine that has land over the line and he keeps me in bow wood these days.  A belly toasting makes white oak as good a bow wood as i have tried.  This is my fourth white oak bow and the shortest unbacked bow that I have made to date. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:42 pm »
Howard, that's a real beaut....that full draw is priceless,sir!!!!!!
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:58:13 pm »
Thanks Rich!  That means a lot coming from you.  Oh and by the way, you should be receiving a package this week.  i procrastinated a bit, but there are otters swimming your way. ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:02:03 pm »
Excellent little bow with great tiller.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 09:14:12 pm »
Thanks Pat!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:26 pm »
that's your best tiller and bow IMHO howard....its fun watching you work hard and get better..keep up the good hard work  ;)