Author Topic: Preferred White Wood - Hackberry or Mulberry?  (Read 8606 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Preferred White Wood - Hackberry or Mulberry?
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:59:15 pm »
Just curious what folks think who have worked both...I am relocating south of my current location by about 60 miles and the area I am settling in has tons of decent Mulberry and Hackberry.

Thanks!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Preferred White Wood - Hackberry or Mulberry?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:08:41 pm »
  I like mallberrie best but It might because I've built way more mallberries. But my hackberrie bows came out good also.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »
Both make very good bows. The hackberry is a whitewood but the mulberry wouldn't necessarily be considered whitewood. You can build a bow from what is under the bark but your best bow from mulberry will come from all heartwood. Treat it like osage but make it 10% bigger all around.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:53:21 pm »
Besides osage (and lowes red oak boards) those are the main two woods I make bows out of. Like pat said mulberry ain't really a white wood, but can be treated like one when making a bow if ya want. Although it does tend to have alot of pin knots, that sometimes give me trouble. Wheres as a hackberry tree doesn't even know the meaning of the word knot. Hackberry is about the most dependable wood for making bows you can find I would think in terms of consistency from tree to tree, most are all straight with few limbs till the top of the tree with no knots. If I could only have one it would be hackberry. If I was going to make a sinew backed bow though, mulberry seems to be good at that.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »
I've used both ...  Hackberry is the move forgiving of the two I think and very light weight and easy to work..  The Mulberry I used was very much like Osage and much harder wood than Hackberry. My shoulders LooooVeeeee Hackberry :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 11:10:59 pm »
Thought Mulberry was a cousin to osage?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:17:01 pm »
Tough choice. I enjoy working with mulberry since its coarse and straight grained. Hackberry, like elm is often inter-locking making it harder to split and work. Hackberry is durable and light but also has a higher degree of shrinkage. Both make great bows.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:23:37 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the great input on the topic Gents!  I did recall that Mulberry wasn't a true whitewood shortly after I hit the post button but alas...it was sent.

Being that I have a ton of Osage and Mulberry is a cousin I think maybe I'll give the Hack a shot since I've heard lots of positive things from other threads and it seems to have a pretty good endorsement from most of you.  Or maybe I'll find a smaller diameter tree of each and try them both...what I did find on my walk on some property I can harvest trees from is a huge old (for MI) Yew with very large diameter branches that are clear of twigs and small branches.  There are at least 5 maybe 6 bueno limbs that kind of got me drooling at the sight of them  >:D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 11:57:04 pm »
Hackberry, because I just started one. I like mulberry, over build like pat said. I think it was one of the Thompson brothers (Maurice) that swore by mulberry as the best. If just whitewoods, bitternut hickory. Use what you got access to ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 09:51:50 am »
Thanks Tracy, I like the use what ya got BUT we do have access to a variety of nice wood in the area.  Just need to jump in and try some of the stuff that is new to me.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 11:58:34 am »
The little bit of mulberry I've cut and used around here, had really big growth rings and wasn't all that dense.  Looks kinda like hedge but doesn't act like it.  I suppose it'd make a fine ELB style though.  I've heard others say they have more dense mulberry so maybe I shouldn't give up on it.

Hackberry is light but makes a pretty springy flatbow.  Its a cousin of elm I believe.  It wears out faster than a hedge bow but what self-respecting bowyer wears a bow out before they make three more?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:10:16 pm »
Lee I made an all sapwood mullberry that made 50#, not by much. Stick with heartwood as Pat suggested. That being said. Hackberry is twice the bow wood as far as Im concerned. Others have their own cpionions of course.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »
Thanks PD, I think I am leaning more heavily towards the Hackberry...there are some really nice trees of it here in Berrien Springs.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 12:24:53 pm »
Hack away my friend...you got plenty of better " colored" heartwood to chase rings on.  ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 12:34:10 pm »
Hack away my friend...you got plenty of better " colored" heartwood to chase rings on.  ;)

8)     >:D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold