Author Topic: home bru stave press and shave horse  (Read 9752 times)

Offline KHalverson

home bru stave press and shave horse
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:43:13 pm »
I'm pretty new to bow building but figured why stand at a bench when ya can sit and be nice and comfy
so a trip to the local steel supplier for some drops of the proper stock 6x6 square tube and 1/4 flat stock
then a trip to the lumber yard and here's what i came up with
it'll hold any thing from a sizable quarter split to a branch bow

questions, comments and critiques welcome
thanks
Kevin

blackhawk

Re: home bru stave press and shave horse
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:08:48 pm »
Kevin...My only question is...will you please bring it to elm hall next weekend so I can try it out? If I like it I might not get off it for hours tho  >:D :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:16:03 pm »
Very slick :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:22 pm »
Looks like it works well, does the stave press swivel? I'm trying to come up with something similar that is portable, folds up and has a tillering tree incorporated into it and is still stable. Also is the stave horse gentle on the bows back and if you ordered it via mail was delivery on time and quick?  I need to put something together within two weeks and still am not sure of a design. Thanks
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

owlbait

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »
Blackhawk, you can sit on my bench if you help me with the osage I've got. Bugholes all over, and deep too. The leather in these presses seems to work good but it might take a more experienced eye to look for damage to the back. Plenty of room to angle the staves to so  you can work from different angles on them. Kevin made these, didn't come in the mail ;D

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:37:53 pm »
Nice, looks well built. Think you should have saved yourself some work, and bought Keenans setup.  ;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline KellyG

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 01:11:59 am »
awesome, I like it. I have a stave press and was wondering if that might work after seeing similar set ups at MOJAM and now yours; I think I know what I am doing. 

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 02:56:54 am »
Badly Bent, I have the perfect item for you. Check out our Stave Master Benches on our web site.  Keenan & Lulyn

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:45:28 am »
You are just missing a comfy cushion off an old sofa... very important bowyers tool the comfy cushion ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 10:48:42 am »
  Those stave press's are good for draw knifeing the stave down but no so good where you need to rasp.
  I've welded up a few for other people. I don't make mine straight on like yours but mine you set a little to the side so you can put the stave under your arm if need to.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:13 am »
I have a stave press that I "won" at the MOJam auction last year. I should probably mount it to a bench!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:06 am »
Looks like the one I made. I welded it to a pipe and set it in the ground under a shade tree.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:55:44 am »
I may have to make or buy one of those.  I think I saw something like it on the 3Rivers site.  I always have a hard time holding a nice big stave on my bench for bark/sapwood removal.  No shaving horse I've ever tried fit this situation.  Well, I take that back Mike Yancey had a monster horse several years back that looked like it was made for this.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline rps3

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:03:20 am »
I use mine belt instead of leather, more cushion and also more grip to help eliminate side to side wiggle. I like the mounting to a bench idea for sure, might have to try that.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:46:10 pm »
Looks like it works well, does the stave press swivel? I'm trying to come up with something similar that is portable, folds up and has a tillering tree incorporated into it and is still stable. Also is the stave horse gentle on the bows back and if you ordered it via mail was delivery on time and quick?  I need to put something together within two weeks and still am not sure of a design. Thanks
Greg
I just checked out the Stave Press sold by Three rivers Archery.  They have a video about it.  Their version swivels, you can clamp it to a table/bench, and the clamping mechanism swivels as well.  Its pretty cool, a little pricey but the only thing I've seen that would work for a big quarter split.  I've gotten by all these years aithout one though, but not without numerous four letter words every time a stave jumps out of my vice.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO