Author Topic: Where to get good wood in SE Michigan? Or online?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline TheDeltaFactor

Where to get good wood in SE Michigan? Or online?
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:19:29 pm »
I just finished my first red oak board bow, and it immediately broke. I want to start another one, but with better raw materials. I have no idea where to look, however. There must be somewhere in SE Michigan to get boards of good bow-making woods. Or even online suppliers. I'd rather not have to hack off a limb of my neighbor's mulberry tree in the middle of the night :-)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Where to get good wood in SE Michigan? Or online?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:29:56 pm »
You should have some HHB and hickory around you for sure. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:55 pm »
It wood be wise to make it up to the Elm Hall shoot next weekend. There will be several bowyers there with all kinds of ready to go wood available...and even more importantly you can pick there brains apart. Seriously just ask cus we like to talk bows,and you'll come away with being way further ahead learning wise than trying to go it alone. Trust me. Even better stay the whole weekend and try to build a bow with all the help around. Your chances of walking away with a shooter will be good having folks who know around. Here's all the info

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32864.0.html

If not you should have plenty of wood available,especially saplings cus there easy to cut n reduce down,and then quick dry em n they'll be ready in a month.

Offline TheDeltaFactor

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:55:19 pm »
The Elm Hall shoot sounds interesting, thanks. I'll have to see if I can rearrange the schedule to make it up there :-)

UserNameTaken

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:18:45 pm »
Check craigslist. I don't live in michigan, but I just scored a bunch of black locust from a guy selling on CL. A lot of these people don't want to pay the money to have these big trees hauled off and are happy to piece it out. Use words like log & wood in your search. Or use specific tree names. I found a yew tree on there the other day, but it had some class 4 rapids going all through the grain. Bummer.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 03:06:11 pm »
Vinemaplebows has a site with some good looking wood on there. Mostly PNW woods. he's got Ash, Yew, and of course Vinemaple ect.
But you should have hickory And some hornbeam. Any fruit tree as well.
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »
If you can make it up there and wanna learn,I will supply a hackberry stave and help you for free.  8)

Offline TheDeltaFactor

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 05:42:20 pm »
That is quite an offer blackhawk, thank you! I really hope I can make it!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 05:59:56 pm »
I'll put in a plug for Mike Yancey at Pine Hollow Longbows, he sells staves of a variety of woods at reasonable prices.  Sounds like a trip to Elm Hall would be your best bet right now though.  I saw the ad for that shoot, looks like a winner.  I wonder if Gary Davis will be there?  He lives in MI I think.  He's another one you could get a really nice osage bow blank from.  Not cheap but excellent quality.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:22:25 pm »
Just find the guys whittlin on wood n you'll find us....ill have other woods as well available...as will Matt I'm sure.

Tom...Gary usually pops his head in on Saturday there,but doesn't set up a table n comes more just to socialize,but who knows. You could still talk to him though in person and ask him if he brought any,cus he might have some in the back of his truck.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:02:50 pm »
tdf
these are a really good group of guys that are gonna be at elm hall
i met a few of these guys at marshall for the first time this year they made me feel as id known them for a long time
there is a ton of experience in this crew
ill be there watchin and listening and doing some whittling  (im still really green at this myself)
if ya can figure out a way to make it up
you will learn so much
kevin

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 08:59:46 pm »
Chickenhawks offer is a chance that doesnt come along often............for free or not.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
Man this makes twice now that I have to agree with Pearly !! :o
Don't mess up and miss out , as that is a wonderfull opportunity and not because of the wood either !!
I will be at GLLI in 2 weeks if you don't get finished up at Elm Hall !! (No free Osage there !)
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »
i live in se michigan and if you want ill offer up a day to go out on my private property and cut you a maple, elm, or an ironwood bow stave if you want... as i go and collect from  there all the time for my staves.
my email is jburleigh73@yahoo.com
jamie