Author Topic: tiller cracks  (Read 1446 times)

Offline grinner

tiller cracks
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:24:48 pm »
HI, i am working on tillering a hackberry bow and it has formed  3 horizontal crack acrosss the limbs. They are  very shallow what could be causeing thisand how can i fix it thanks

Offline RobWiden

Re: tiller cracks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:01:42 pm »
   You don't give enough information for a proper answer. Where are these cracks? Pictures would be a big help. If they're on the belly, it sounds like chrysals, which are compression fractures. These are usually caused by one area of the limb doing more than its share of the work. In this case, the chrysals would all be in one small area of the limb. If they're spread over the whole limb, it probably means the design is wrong for that particular wood.
    You might be able to fix it by removing the crushed wood and glueing a slat of new wood onto the belly and then retillering. I think when others chime in, they'll mostly tell you to start another bow. I have repaired a couple bows this way, and it worked, but doesn't look very nice.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline grinner

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:18:34 pm »
sorry i forgot to say that they where on the back of the bow but they are to small to take a picture of.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:13:41 pm »
If they were on the belly I'd say they were compression chrysals.  Across the back, they are either scratches or the bow failed there.  Is it bending real hard right at the cracks?  Do you have a hinge there?

You don't really fix cracks.  I suppose you might put a layer of sinew over the bow but I wouldn't waste sinew on a broken bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »
How did those cracks just "form"? They don't come out of nowhere. Did it happen in the tiller process? And where are they located, how far out from the handle? Did you damage the grain on the back?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline grinner

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »
Mid limb and they are straight across the almost look like they could just be the polyurethane cracking where i seal the back. DOes some kinds of polyurethane crack when bent?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:24:19 am »
I have had a thin growth ring fail in the back of q bow before. Brace the bow and draw it a little and see if the crack opens up. Careful it doesn't go pop in your face. Never had polly varnish crack before.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:41:09 am »
Some poly could crack I suppose, but not in July Im thinking. Sounds like a tension shear on an over stressed or poorly tillered bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:44:27 am »
 Those are drying cracks your stavewas'nt completely dry. And there where moisture escaped faster than the rest of the bow.
  SUPER GLUE the cracks and any others that might show up. Either put it in a hot box until you get the right moisture content  or in a car window or in the sun for a few weeks. But don't let it get wet of due'd on in the mornings. Hackberries a white wood and seasons pretty fast and it sounds like your stave is just about seasoned enough.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline grinner

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:52:41 pm »
I checked it with a moister meter and it was at 8 percent. So i dont think it was from the but the cracks are deffenatly into the wood