Author Topic: Sister Staves  (Read 4987 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Sister Staves
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:04 pm »
I cut this wood myself about four years ago, got a real nice stave and bandsawed it in half to get two bows.  Turned them into nearly identical blanks at last year's MOJAM, 64" t/t and 1.5" wide to midlimb with bulbous handle.  Then let them sit in the basement for a year, looked at them almost daily but never got the urge.  Tillered both to 60@28 at this year's MOJAM.  Now I'm trying to finish them up to give to two friends before hunting season.  One guy hates snakes so I backed his with rawhide I got from Pine Hollow.  Great stuff, thinned and almost clear.  The other guy got prairie rattlers, also from Pine Hollow.  Both backings were applied with watered down Titebond III.  I haven't finished the bows yet, I'm going to use Formby's tung oil finish.  Gotta get them good and dry first.  I'll post the finished version when they're done but I wanted to show them off bad.  Haven't been bowyering much and I think I got the bug back.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Sister Staves
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:43:03 pm »
They couldn't be any more similar even after tillering.  They both shoot nicely with no hand shock.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:43:19 pm »
They look more like twins than just sisters.  I like them.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline danlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:57:23 pm »
Tell me about the Titebond III. Does it dry yellow when watered down? It's a great glue, but I have been shying away from it due to the color. I'd love to see a close up shot of the backing. It's too wet where I live to hunt with hide glue backing so I've been looking around for something else. Nice bows btw!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:02:56 am »
I'm gluing these backings onto osage so I can't say how yellow it dries.  Its thinned a fair amount (something like 1:1) and I think it dries fairly clear.  I used this because I had it on hand, and its a little more waterproof than hide glue.  I cut the backing strips to near dimension, applied glue to both surfaces and then wrapped them with Ace bandages.  Did the snakes last night, the rawhide this morning.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:56:34 am »
Very nice, sweet set. I have wondered where you have been,it has been a while,great to see you back posting,missed ya. :) :) Still talk about you at the Classic with the little girls in the Barbi tent. :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:20:14 am »
Unfortunately those girls have outgrown the Barbie tent.  They'll still occasionally pick up a bow though.  We still talk about our adventure to the Classic too, will be returning one of these times.

While I haven't been bowyering so much, I haven't stopped collecting supplies and the workshop is well stocked.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:27:45 am »
Been a long while man! I agree with George, identical twins. Those are beautiful and I'm sure well crafted. Good to see your work again, always enjoyed it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:45:04 am »
Nice!! :laugh: :laugh:
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 10:52:53 am »
Well done!!

You're going to have some happy hunters :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 11:55:09 am »
I think they'll like the bows.  Both guys are serious hunters so I am hopeful that they'll get a deer with them this fall.

Of course I told them I was making these bows a year ago so they've been waiting a LONG time.  I'm giving these away but they have strict orders to tell everyone they paid big money for them.

I just ordered a couple more rawhide backings from Mike Yancey, and some timber rattler skins.  My next project is going to be a similar style bow for the Ducks Unlimited auction next Feb.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »
Looking nice, real nice. Hope you post them up again when finished, would love to see more.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »
Finally finished the sisters up tonight.  Nothing fancy but they'll make good hunting bows.

First, the snakeskin backed bow.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:41 pm »
Nice bow!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:38 pm »
Now the rawhide backed bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO