Author Topic: would anyone be interested in hand forged drawknives for trade  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Tortoise

if I started to forge (whacking away at metal) draw knives from med-high carbon steel would anyone be interested in trades for some?

since I am starting with forging and can't really work on bow stuff currently I figured these would be great little projects to begin with. (I would test them out on hardwoods to make sure they work well though, I wouldn't trade off junk)

If this is in the wrong place feel free to move also   :D
-Peter
Arizona

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: would anyone be interested in hand forged drawknives for trade
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »
i have forged a few draw knives (out of coil spring) and have found that it is best to find a draw knife you like and try to make one as close as possiple to it then use it on a couple bows then make another one and then adjust shape/grind angle/blade length and  handle angle and try to make the ideal draw knife. i'm starting to think that it is better to have several different sizes/shapes of drawknives depenting on the project and grain character of the wood

Duck
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

kurogane_84

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:33:40 pm »
if I started to forge (whacking away at metal) draw knives from med-high carbon steel would anyone be interested in trades for some?

since I am starting with forging and can't really work on bow stuff currently I figured these would be great little projects to begin with. (I would test them out on hardwoods to make sure they work well though, I wouldn't trade off junk)

If this is in the wrong place feel free to move also   :D

Any pics?? and what would you be interested in for a trades??  and what size knife?? i do need a draw knife and paying 79 dollars dosent seem economical to me lol

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:45:31 pm »
k-84,  The older drawknives you can find @ a fea market are cheaper and usually a better quality too then the knew ones.  Just a thought. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

kurogane_84

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:38:49 pm »
k-84,  The older drawknives you can find @ a fea market are cheaper and usually a better quality too then the knew ones.  Just a thought. dpg

there are none around my area LOL, Google 61 Lake View Drive, North West River, NL, A0P 1M0, the closest one i know of is across the country close to the west coast of Canada LOL

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:32 pm »
Any pics?? and what would you be interested in for a trades??  and what size knife?? i do need a draw knife and paying 79 dollars dosent seem economical to me lol

No pics yet, I really wouldn't ask for much in trade. Anything from tips, blanks for overlays, up to even a small stave would be pretty nice. Again, I would have to work a little bit so I know I am not trading out junk that will go dull in a matter of hours. Thanks for your interest  :)
-Peter
Arizona

kurogane_84

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:57:14 pm »

No pics yet, I really wouldn't ask for much in trade. Anything from tips, blanks for overlays, up to even a small stave would be pretty nice. Again, I would have to work a little bit so I know I am not trading out junk that will go dull in a matter of hours. Thanks for your interest  :)

no problem, i know how hard it is to get things made, ive been trying to set up my coal forge and cant, forest fire season, and saddly the cost of propane at the end of the road is 60 base for tanks of propane and to get a gas forge here is an arm and a leg LOL, trying to get some tools to use to make bows and more ease of making shafts lol, i got some Zwickey 125 Black Eskimo heads, and some steel bullet points for 11/32 shafts, and i have some antler from caribou that are smaller, from prickets ( Calfs) and the only wood avalible to me is birch but its too knotty for anything besides burning for winter LOL, i have one thats decent LOL but knots are there, i can post a pic after of the log i got its been air seasoned for a year now, not split tho lol