Author Topic: Not sure if I have the correct sinew to apply to back of bow--please help.  (Read 4879 times)

Offline ReconBowyer

I bought this stuff, labeled "sinew" in a trading post not far from the little big horn battlefield.  I was originally interested because as you can see the pieces are very long, and I thought that might make it easier to glue on the back of my first attempt at an osage orange bow.  However, once I got back to Texas I started comparing pictures and videos of the tendon/sinew being applied to the backs of bows--to this stuff.  I don't believe I have the right thing here.  When I asked the lady working the counter at the trading post she said she thought it was Elk sinew--I thought she might be right because of the size.

Can anyone help me determine if what I have is the correct sinew to hide glue to the back of my stave?  I'm at the point where I'm ready to order some hide glue, but I'm wondering if I'll need to order some deer sinew as well.  Any input would be appreciated.

thanks.

Offline osage outlaw

That looks like a fine piece of back sinew.  I hope you bought more because it will take more than that to back a bow.  You will need to process it down into fibers to put it on a bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

Where in Texas?  If you're near Dallas swing by my shop and I'll share some sinew with you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline dmikeyj

Yeah, it doesn't look the same to you yet.  It needs processed, bang it out with a stone or hammer on a hardwood stump.  You will need more than that though.
If you are near George, I'd take him up on that offer.  Good luck.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
You have what appears to be elk "back" sinew.  Very good for making bow strings.  What you want for backing is the "leg" sinew (Achilles tendon).  Each tendon when pounded and separated will simply render more fibers than the back sinew will.  Figure 3 or 4 tendons for a backing.  TBBI has the info you need in it.  I have the leg sinew if you need it.  Let me know and I will send you some if you want it.  Backing a bow is a big task!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eric Krewson

Wrong info Slimbob, back sinew is great for backing a bow, nice long strands once you pound it out, just the same as leg sinew but easier to work with.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
I agree with that Eric.  Much easier to work with.  you just gotta get a lot of them.   It is the same once it is pounded and separated.  I've always used the leg sinew for backing and saved the back sinew for strings, or sewing thread etc. 

Anyway my point to him was, I think the reason he is questioning the sinew is because he has seen leg tendons and not back sinew maybe.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:45:17 am by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ReconBowyer

Thank you very much to everyone who took the time to reply--extremely helpful and I appreciate it. 

You're right, I've only seen the leg tendons and didn't realize what I have.  I do have more of it--I'll process the fibers down and then make a determination on if I have enough.

This is my first time on the site and my first post.  Very cool, I plan on coming back often.

thanks again

--Paul

Offline ReconBowyer

George,

I'm in Temple.  Would love to visit your place.  I'm just getting started, but this has been something I've wanted to do for a long time.  Send me a link if you have a site or let me know where to find it.

thanks.

Paul

Offline gstoneberg

I'm in Temple.  Would love to visit your place.  I'm just getting started, but this has been something I've wanted to do for a long time.  Send me a link if you have a site or let me know where to find it.

LOL, I don't build bows for a living so I don't have a web site. I had a personal site when I had my web server available on the web, but Verizon wanted too much for the privilege. Just as well, I do enough web work at work.

I come down to Burlington hog hunting a couple times a year. If I get down your way before you get to Dallas I'll give you a shout. Be sure to come by if you get up this way.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

SlimBob, you will hate me!  I only use backstrap sinews for backing bows.  I chop the leg sinews in one inch bits, add distilled water, and make hide glue!!!  Or toss 'em to the dogs.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

Nice back sinew you got there Recon.  All my bows are backed with back sinew.  In fact, I prefer buffalo or elk.  Not knocking leg sinew by any means, its just a personal preference for me.  I use leg sinew for wrapping arrows and fletching.  Process it with your hands.  There is no need to use hammers.  If you had leg sinew than you can go berserk with a hammer, but since it's just back sinew you can twist, pull and process your sinew with your hands. 

Offline ReconBowyer

Okay, after an entire day spent at the table I've got a shoebox full of long, processed fibers.  My fingers hate me.  Thanks again to everyone, if I'm successful I'll post a picture of the finished product.  Or the broken product--whatever gets the most laughs.

thanks again.

Offline crooketarrow

Thats elk back sinew for sure. Any sinew will work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

blackhawk

If you haven't made any bows yet,or are still learning how to tiller, I then wood save the sinew for backing a bow down the road untill you are efficient at making a bow bend proper.