Author Topic: snake ID  (Read 10734 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
snake ID
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:52:00 am »
I killed this snake on my front lawn this morning. I didn't think it was a copperhead because it was so dark but it had an arrowhead shaped head and struck(with a white mouth) at my walking stick so I whacked him with my stick. I always cut a snakes head off and bury it and I checked ant this one had teeth but no fangs. I'm thinking a water snake but this guy(gal) was well above our creek near out rock garden. When I was skinning her I found she had eggs inside.
  I normally would not kill a non poisonous snake. If I knew for sure she was not poisonous I would have let her be.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

Re: snake ID
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »
Pat, I killed a snake exactly like that this summer at the inlaws lake property.  It had eggs in it also.  I think it is some kind of water snake.  It was very thick and powerful for its length.  It had a partially digested 6" fish in its stomach.

Let me get a picture of the skin from mine and compare it to yours.  Maybe we can work out a trade one way or the other.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:10:28 pm »
Looks like a water snake to me too.  I've seen moccasins colored not much different than that...I probably would have killed it too and I don't kill many snakes...unless I'm working on a bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:51 pm »
Here is the picture of the watersnake.  It has 29" of usable skin with a slight tear on the head end.  The pattern was a  little brighter before I dried it.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:56 pm »
Pat, looks like a watersnake.  I catch them in the minnow trap.  If you kept the skin, I may have a match for it if you want It.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:19:44 pm »
Norther Water Snake is what we call em.  They are killed all the time because people think they are copper heads.  They have a similar color, but it's reversed...I think on the copper head the hour glass is the dark ring.  And yes, they are aggresive and will bite if messed with very much.  I'm no snake pro, but I live on a creek and that is one of the snakes we see regularly.  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:50:06 am »
Yep, that's a Northern water snake. I've seen them a long ways from water a few times over the years. And they're not friendly at all. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 01:26:34 am »
Steve, I killed a small copperhead down near the barn the other day. It was in the weeds and my stick had no mercy so not much left of it.
  This snake was up by the house. Probably 50'(vertically) above the creek. As much rain as we have had lately maybe she thought she was in the creek!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:11 am »
Pat, it's a "Red Belly Water snake." That's what they are officially called. Pretty pattern. Aggressive snakes.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:28:38 am »
I won't be giving you a hard time at the classic if you have a stick handy >:D Pat, do you mind if I use the dissection pic with eggs in the classroom?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 11:02:24 am »
It is 100% a Northern Water snake.  The big females like that seem to travel a lot about this time of year. Check out the last bow Will H. posted if ya want to see what they look like on a bow.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »
Well like Shannon said that's a northern watersnake. I haven't posted the bow yet though...my computer has been giving me serious fits. Should post it up in a week or so. It's SUPER snakey :) and those northern watersnakes rival copperheads in my opinion  :o
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:52:00 pm »
I saved the belly skin from mine.  It is sweet looking.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:46:40 pm »
Here are some pics of a red belly water snake eating a frog.

Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II