Author Topic: Billet or Bow? (NOW A BUILDALONG) DONE!!  (Read 7244 times)

Offline JonW

Billet or Bow? (NOW A BUILDALONG) DONE!!
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »
I have this stave that I don't know what I want to do with. It is 52" long and has a big knot at 18" from one end. High crown on one end and relatively flat on the other. I'm open for suggestions :-\
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:09:17 pm by JonW »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Billet or Bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:49:16 pm »
If you got a short 26 inch draw, I see a bendy handle bow in there.  Ya feelin' froggy?  Go for it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:11:29 am »
I agree with JW, make a bendy handle bow and kick the tips a bit for better string angle.
  You should get those 3 islands around the knot on the back down to the back ring. One could lift a splinter and that would be the end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:45 am »
Alright I guess I've been called out! Yeah I'm aware of the knot Pat, I was just waiting to decide what I wanted to do. Looks like another short bow is in the cards. That's ok 'cause that's what I like anyhow.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:31:01 am »
I agree with Pat. Good point on flipping the tips.  I'll leave my full comment since I already have it typed.  :)

The challenges I see there are the sideways bend you'll have to make about 8" from the left end and the big knot.  I hate to bend sideways, but it's close enough to the tip that you can get the limb pretty narrow and make it easier.  The knot adds some risk, but if you remove the extra rings there now and some of the hard wood around the core there's a good chance you can make the limb bend right through it.  The crown should not be a problem.  JW's right, it'd have to be bendy handle.  If you decide to leave it stiff at that knot (and that is safer) you'll have trouble getting a decent draw length and I think it makes more sense as a billet then.  You might be able to put the knot in the handle or the fade.

Have fun,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:34:34 am »
Here is your chance to prove that it don't take much osage to make a bow.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:40:23 pm by JW_Halverson »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:52:22 pm »
Have nothing to add to what the other guys said, go bendy handle . I look forward to seeing it when your finished Jon.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JonW

Re: Billet or Bow? (NOW A BUILDALONG)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 01:33:43 pm »
Well this will be the first time I actually documented a build pictorally. I think I can get a bow from this stave but I aint makin no promises ;). Here are some pics after rough -out, a pic of the straightening, and a pic of the outcome of multiple heat sessions. More to come.....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 02:36:33 pm »
Looking good Jon.  Thanks for the build-a-long.  I enjoy seeing how other folks go about making bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:57 pm »
Looking great, should make a really nice shorty.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
Are you planning on making a yardstick outa that thing!?!?!?  You sure got it straight enough!  Sheesh. 

Good work, what's next?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 04:55:00 pm »
Are you planning on making a yardstick outa that thing!?!?!?  You sure got it straight enough!  Sheesh. 

Good work, what's next?

I totaly agree. Didnt even think it was possible to get sage that straight. Of course mines usualy alot more crooked to start with. Cant wait to see it finished.
Steve Bennett

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »
Thanks for doing a build along Jon, I too like seeing how other guys go about it. You sure did get it nice and straight and other than that big knot it looks pretty darn clean. Keep after it man, I'll be following along.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »
After all the heat I shot at that thing I'm gonna let it rehydrate a little ( myself as well!) before doing much more. I'll prolly throw it on the belt sander some tomorrow before it hits 100 degrees outside. I may have to get up at 3 a.m. to do it though :o

Offline JonW

Re: Billet or Bow? (NOW A BUILDALONG) DONE!!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »
Well here is some of the process I used in making this bow. It is not the most well documented build you will see, but I hope ya'll like it. I lost a few of the tillering pics but I think it was kinda redundant anyway. Here goes..  The first pic is of my two favorite tools. They are my very good friends.