Author Topic: Will spray poly hold over beeswax? One last question on page 2....  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Hi everyone,

I have an old bow that needs to be refinished. The original finish was 5 coats of beeswax, but it needs to be sanded down, re-stained, and refinished. If I sand down the surface of the bow and re stain it, will spray on poly hold up as the new finish? Input would be great. Thanks.

Jon
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:35:17 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Will spray poly hold over beeswax?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:42 pm »
If you can remove all the wax it will but I doubt you will be able to do that. You probably won't be able to restain it either. I've never used wax as a finish so this is just a guess on my part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Alaric

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:35:48 pm »
You will need to remove the wax before resealing it, the stain won’t take well if at all through the wax either. Get some grease and wax remover, I use a 3m product I get from Napa and clean the bow with it before sanding to remove the wax then sand and finish as you wish.

Richard

Offline Alaric

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:42:36 pm »
My response assumes there is something under the bees wax if not and the wax is worked into the pores of the wood you may not be able to remove all of it.

Richard

Offline Holten101

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:05:00 pm »
Removing beeswax is next to impossible, especially if it has been heated in. If you sand down to a level were your sandpaper dont clutch up with wax you might be able to both stain and poly the bow. Your chance of succes are slim in my opinion...sorry.

I would drop stain and continue using wax...its a great finish when heated in;-)

Cheers

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:30:40 pm »
Okay maybe that will be what I have to do... Thanks for the replies. I live in a very humid area and I am not sure how ell a beeswax finish will hold up to the humidity.

Jon 

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »
Take a look at this thread. It'll answer some of your questions.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:52:07 pm »
Thanks Darksoul. I now have my answer.   :'( thanks.

Jon

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Will spray poly hold over beeswax? NEW QUESTION...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:20:37 am »
okay so I decided to just leave the finish as is and apply a few more coats of beeswax. I have some 100% beeswax candles which I believe will work?

I plan on melting the wax, brushing it onto the bow while still hot, then heating with a  heat gun set on low to melt the wax into the wood, repeating until the wood is thouroughly saturated. Then I plan on buffing with with fine steel wool. Is this the proper way to apply it? Once this is done can I apply acrilyc paint over the wax or should the small section of the bow be painted before I apply the wax? Let me know.

Thanks.

Jon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:29:00 am »
I agree wit Dark Soul. Reapply the beeswax but I'd use a hair dryer. I think the heat gun may change the tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35:15 am »
Bees wax is usually made into a creamey polish by mixing it with turpentine, white spirit or some similar solvent.
Grate it with a cheese grater (Don't let wife see this) put it in a jar with a little solvent and leave overnight, warm it and stirring it it will help it dissolve. Maybe try it in the food blender >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »
1/2 beeswax and 1/2 mineral oil makes an awesome wood finish, easy to apply and beautiful.  Heat it in and reapply often and you'll be all right.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 03:35:10 pm »
1/2 beeswax and 1/2 mineral oil makes an awesome wood finish, easy to apply and beautiful.  Heat it in and reapply often and you'll be all right.

Gabe
this is a great finnish, it's also food safe for wood bowl's and cup's and such, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »
I can try the mix, but am curious, will beeswax work on its own or does it have to be mixed up first?

Jon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 04:19:09 pm »
I can try the mix, but am curious, will beeswax work on its own or does it have to be mixed up first?

Jon
Dunno, I'd think it would be hard to apply solid without risk of overheating the bow, and even then it will dry as a thick layer I'd have thought.
If it it goes on thick and lumpy it's going to be a pain to get off and will also use a lot of wax, don't think it will penetrate any better either.
Let us know how you get on.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.