Author Topic: How skinny is too skinny  (Read 4139 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

How skinny is too skinny
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:02:01 am »
I have an osage stave that is edging towards "heroine chic" skinny.  Right now coming out of the fades I have a bare 1 1/2, but that wood is a little compromised and when the limbs are squared up it will be just a hair over 1 1/4 wide at the fades.

The overall length is 63" and I am looking at a 28" draw, 4" nonbending handle and a total of 3 inches of fadeouts.  I am sure I am riding the very edge of things and risking ending up with some permanent set to the limbs, right?  I know it don't take much osage to make a bow and boy howdy am I counting on that. 

What do you think?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: How skinny is too skinny
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:08:09 am »
I've seen a nice osage bow with 1" of width at the fades. It didn't taper much  ;D, but the shot well.  Doesn't mean its a good idea, but this one worked.  I think too skinny is when you start having lateral stabiity issues, but by the time you figure those out... its too late!  With nice 'sage I think 1.25 inches at the fades should be fine.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:53:51 am »
Depends on the piece of wood and what draw weight you're going for. Last year I had to narrow a piece of osage down to 1 1/4" because it was too heavy. If the draw weight you're going for isn't too heavy I'd say that would work out just fine.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:34:31 am »
A bendy handle, as opposed to the stiff handle you're looking for, will result in less set. Why do you prefer a stiff handle? Not only is the stave skinny, it's also a bit short. I think a bend in the handle bow would be a better choice, as it will spread the load better. Keep the belly flat and the back a bit crowned to keep set low.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline JonW

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:18:47 am »
Thats not too skinny and not too short...its osage. And itll be fine with a stiff handle. Just start out with running your width full width at least half way before tapering to your tips,and keep it under 60 pounds. Im sealing up one right now thats only 1 1/8" wide(a skinny split,n all it gave me),61"ntn,44@27",thin ringed(1/16"),and a barely slight bending handle.i started with 4"+ of reflex and its resting at 2 1/2" of reflex with a crowned belly(Torges style)..id say with those set results my width was perfect..ill be posting her wed....just monitor your set and mass weight as you tiller,and if its a dense piece you might even have to narrow it.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:49 am »
I hunt with one that is 1" wide all the way with tapering tips.  In fact, I prefer about 1 1/8 wide.  I have two like this that are 62" tip to tip, pulling 65 pounds at 27", about 3/4" set on both.  You can see my hunting bow in my post in the hunting forum.  With osage, skinny is no problem whatsoever.  The lighter the better for me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:56:56 am »
IMO, 1 1/2" is about max width for an osage bow. I've built hunting weight bows that were 1" or slightly less even, and for a 28" draw 63" is fine too. You might want to bring the bend back into the fades a bit more than normal but you should be good to go with the dimensions you have.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:19:21 am »
Most of my Osage bows are about 1 inch wide until they taper at the tips. I buy the cheap narrow staves on the Internet auction site.

I have no problem getting 60 lbs at 28 inches with a working handle.

Patrick

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:27:01 am »
 There comes a time when to narrow means exsess set and string follow. More than it should have. A inch half puts the stress thought out the whole limb. Although a longer bow can help with the stress I feel anything under 1 3/8 's your butting exture undeeded stress on your limb for OSAGE. Worse for other woods.
  SHORTER THE BOW WIDER HTE LIMBS IS A GENERAL RULE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:36:15 am »
JW, I think that is plenty of yeller wood to make a good bow.   This bow is just a hair over 1 1/8" wide coming out of the fades and is 61" long. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33218.msg438359.html#msg438359
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:32:14 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jimmy

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »
Man, I really hate to say this at the risk of starting drama, but some people just seem to be giving lousy advice to the guys with little to no experience.  Some of the advice is just flat-out not true, just opinion.  If you like bows 1 3/8" wide, great.  Make them that way.  But I can assure you, you don't need more than 1".  And I'm talking stiff handle and all.  Or at least one that bends so little you don't feel it. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:55:26 pm »
JW, I rarely make osage bows over an inch and 3/8ths wide and I have one that's 7/8".  When you get down around an inch wide it's likely going to take some set, but you're well above that.  My 60" unbacked take-down has almost exactly the specs you're working with.  It took an inch of set, but I think the bowyer had more to do with that than the wood.  I think you'll be fine, but it won't tolerate any goofs like a wider limb would.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:16:22 pm »
JW,if it's good wood,you can pull it off. I've built several osage bows that are less than an inch at the widest spot. They are all hunting weight,and shoot very good. JMHO. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:33:41 pm »
Sweet thread, I am just about to start in on a pair of skinny osage staves.  I will be looking at 1" wide max at the fades, and was planning on a 64" length, bend through the handle. Looking forward to seeing yours JW.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso