Author Topic: Sculptural bow builds  (Read 12102 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Sculptural bow builds
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 11:26:18 pm »
Very nice.....I love to see different designs and people trying new things.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
    Very impressive work their, your artistic talents will no doubt aid you in your tillering as well.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
Man, those right on the money.  I've often wanted to carve my mine up real artistic like that.  But I am lucky to just get one that shoots.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 12:02:53 am »
incredible art! That's taking finishing a bow to a whole new level.

Jon

Offline country

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:50 am »
VERY Cool!

Offline Mistergone

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 12:45:00 am »
  Your bows look really familiar. Where would I have seen them before?

G
Not sure, I've sold a couple so they might be posting pics on facebook (ran into a bow of mine that way, very cool feeling) and I post on SG and Deviant, one of those maybe? Honestly I'm kind of surprised I haven't run into more sculptural bows like these, I tried my hand at it on a whim and with the advice of this forum and some youtube posts (and trial and error of course) I was making functional bows within a month (thanks again to everyone on this board, an amazing amount of information), I still have a shit load to learn but its so rewarding that even when I screw up I happily take the lesson and move on.

As for the draw weights, I try to keep the bows usable for everyday shooters so i try to stay between 30-50lbs, I'll move higher eventually but since they aren't meant for hunting and I'm still learning I think 30-50 is a good range. Anyways, in order from top down in my first post they draw:

38lbs - Made for a acquaintance in Minneapolis, she wanted between 35-40lbs and ambidextrous with a complex red stain, the wood is hard maple 
50lbs - Made for a longbow competition at the MN renfest, still have it and shoot it most days to get ready, its presold but won't ship until after the competition.
32lbs - Made as a fun bow for everyone to shoot at some of the regular bonfires that happen in the neighborhood, hard maple as well. 
40lbs - Built over the winter at a local maker shop, I build everything in my backyard during the summer and move to the communal maker shop in winter.
25lbs - this was a prop bow for a Renfest costume, it still shoots but its very light.
32lbs - First proper bow build, a smooth shooter, tips were too heavy but it made it a very lazy easy bow to shoot.

(Everything is measured at 28")
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:25:46 am by Mistergone »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 01:05:53 am »
I can't believe that this would stay in one piece - that's incredible!  What kind of draw weights are you getting out of these bows?  BTW, maple is one of my favorite woods to use as well.

Offline Mistergone

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 01:19:35 am »
I can't believe that this would stay in one piece - that's incredible!  What kind of draw weights are you getting out of these bows?  BTW, maple is one of my favorite woods to use as well.

I built this before I learned I probably shouldn't  ;D
It got over drawn to 32" by a 6'4" friend of mine before I could instruct him on the proper draw length, it just kept on tickin', guess I lucked out on that particular piece of oak, as of late however I haven't had the best luck with red oak, I think I got too comfortable with the forgiveness of the hard maple. I have a 7' piece of red oak waiting to be cut right now, I'm thinking I'll try a recurve with it since I haven't done any steam bending yet, see if I can't break my streak of bad luck with the stuff. The bow I'm most excited for is the bamboo and walnut, I did a spear out of walnut last year and still remember fondly how nice it sanded and stained
I just hope the bamboo doesn't over power the walnut, I'm going to try for around 40lbs and overbuild it to be safe.

Offline warpath

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 09:06:42 am »
So..... How would I contact you about contracting a piece made special? Since I'm a bowyer and own a business, I can provide all the materials needed. Please let me know. Thanks Mistergone!  ;D

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 11:28:24 am »
Am i the only one who cannot see the pics ? :(

Offline Stefan

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »
Interesting stuff but not my style of bows..I can appreciate the craftmanship. I do have a picture that I barrowed from paleoplanet (hope the don't mind) Would love to see something like that..

greetings stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline arklowrebel

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 03:07:13 pm »
Fantastic work, man.  Really, really cool

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »
This is awesome work, as everyone seems to be echoing here!  Do you have any pictures of your bows during the contruction, tillering, or carving phases of thier lives?

Offline Mistergone

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 08:28:50 pm »
This is awesome work, as everyone seems to be echoing here!  Do you have any pictures of your bows during the contruction, tillering, or carving phases of thier lives?

I really should take more pictures during the construction but I'm always too excited to remember until afterwards, here are a few quick shots I did get,

I really need to make a better tillering setup but for now this one works out.

They sometimes have a sketch guiding them but often as not they just kind of evolve, I do have a very strange build I'm slowly working and there are plenty of drawings of that in my book but I have no idea if its even going to shoot, let alone shoot quickly or properly, hopefully once I have a decent working design I'll put it up here.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:13 pm »
Is that bow a take down? It looks like it is in 3 pieces. The riser section looks like a pretty good weapon in its own right!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA