Author Topic: Advice needed on cutting down a black walnut tree  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Advice needed on cutting down a black walnut tree
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:39 pm »
There's an abundance of trees on the property and I took some elm and mulberry down early spring. This walnut is just west of the creek in the bottom and wondered whether I should wait until next year to cut it. If I cut it this late in the year how difficult would it be to remove the bark? The trees cut early spring the bark peeled off in full layers which made things quick and easy.

The first dead branch on the right of the trunk is over 8' and the knot on the left is over 6' from the base.  There are over 60 black walnut trees on the property but this one looks to be the straightest and easily accessible.
Tried adding pics but it denied because the size was over 200KB.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Re: Advice needed on cutting down a black walnut tree
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:55:52 pm »
Depends on how hot and humid it is where you live. Here in Georgia i can peel bark with a screwdriver and my bare hands in this 100+ heat.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:56:45 am »
It's still quite early in summer. I think you can still peel the bark off the log. Even if it's a bit difficult, you could still manage will some muscles and the right tools. Peeling the bark in spring is so overrated, in my opinion.
Maybe you could test a small piece; cut off a small limb (2" across or so) and see if the bark comes off easily.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:31 am »
The bark should fall right off this time of year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:25:59 pm »
I'm going to try to get it cut tomorrow. Resized the picture so I could add the attachment.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.