Author Topic: Question about Texas rock  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Blacktail

Question about Texas rock
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »
I got some rocks from a friend that is working in the San Antonio area and I didn't give him any description on how to find knapable rock so in my opinion he did a really good job on finding these two pieces. So, for the Texas guys, what kind of rock is this? And do I need to do any cooking? Thanks so much, John.

Offline TRACY

Re: Question about Texas rock
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:23:24 am »
Just got some that looks like that. It is tough and sharp. It seems like a little heat will make it less tough, but I really like it. Maybe some of the Texas folks will enlighten us both as to the name of it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:13:45 am »
thanks for the reply tracy...i cant wait to start banging on the stuff..john

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:53:31 pm »
Looks like Edwards or Pedernales. I'd start bifacing & if its a little tough a turkey roaster will tame it. You'll be amazed at how its knappability will change. It will make you want to move to Tx!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:02:36 pm »
thanks so much tower...now is the edwards the gray rock and the other is pedernales....also what is a good hold time for the rock and how long...thanks again john

Offline seider

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:11:43 pm »
Tower is the one to help with the heat treating I am unable to need a turkey roaster and i will start playing around with it some...  Tracy hope that rock works out good for you.  I have about 150lbs of it left under my deck..  I can also get more anytime..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:16:42 pm »
Depends on the size. Small spalls about 3 to 4 hrs. Larger ones. 5 or 6 hrs. That's what I'd do.  The white material may need a longer hold time. Try it at 3 to 4 & if it needs more put it in the pile that heating .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:16:40 pm »
well i spalled out the bigger one and i got some pritty good pieces...it sounds like i could cook them at 400 for 3-4hrs...but i will do that tomorrow...thanks john

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:02 am »
That sounds like it aughta work. Wish you could take a short drive to san antone blacktail, ha.. bring your one ton and i could show where to squat it with that stuff :).

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »
Funny you should say San Antone Paul.  Might be too far for blackhawk, but not for me; and I just got an email last night from a guy who guided me for hogs down there when I first came to Texas.  He said I should come down for some "extreme hog bowhunting" on a new ranch.  Maybe I could combine a rock and hog hunt?  My f150 is "squatable"... LOL.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:32 pm »
You betcha George. lol :D. South of SA on I35 hang a right in Lytle, go to LaCoste and head south (i think) along the rr tracks. Just outside of town if ya wanna call it that past the grain elevators and feed store you'll start seeing farmlands, mostly corn. Those fields are nothing but perd! You can pick it along the fringes i would imagine but if you can find a farmer he'll probably pay you to haul some off, haha..
 Might as well come on down and join in blacktail ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:17:37 pm »
Man, I'm about ready to fly down and rent a uhaul and fill it up ;) Seider, my wife said the same thing about picking up a turkey roaster on black Friday. I need to get one sooner so I can cook some rock and try it out.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline seider

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
I figure if i keep useing her toaster oven she will let me buy one faster..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 01:02:32 am »
thanks for the help...i would love to make a rock run down there or even move...but my wife said no way..she dont like the heat that much...john

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 01:10:16 am »
...but my wife said no way..she dont like the heat that much...john

Mine always said that too, until we moved here.  And then she started saying, "we have more nice days in March down here than we had the whole year in Nebraska.  I can put up with the heat for 3 months to get the other 9."  I'd only get her out of Texas kicking and screaming now...or if the grandchildren begged her. ::)  I tried to get her to consider Alaska, wanted to live there for a few years to hunt as a resident, but no dice there at all.

George
St Paul, TX