Author Topic: Understanding hand shock???  (Read 9031 times)

Offline coaster500

Understanding hand shock???
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:17:00 pm »
I am at odds sometimes to understand why some of the bows I build are smooth as silk and on the other side another can rattle the caps off my teeth??? I made a 50@27 Osage a while back that shoots very accuratly but will leave a blister on my hand after a few dozen arrows....  Maybe someone here can give me some understanding...  The only thing that makes this bow a bit diffenent is a knot on the upper limb about halfway up where I left a bit more material as insurance. The tiller on this one looks good??? Other than that It's pretty much my standard build?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

Re: Understanding hand shock???
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »
If tillers good,then it basically boils down to design. To long,to wide at the ends etc...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:38:15 pm »
Fat strings, string silencers that are bulky or misplaced, arrows under 8-9 gpp. , brace height, limb timing. The tiller may be even but that doesnt mean the tips are getting back home at the same time. Your grip on the bow can do it, keep your grip very loose so the bow can move and the arrow can clear.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »
Hawkman, Drums here are a couple pictures so you can see design and the knot in the upper limb.

I have shot arrows up to 780 grains but it still jumps, same string I use on everything...  as far as grip if I don't hold onto it it will jump out of the yard!!!

The limbs timing thing might be the culprit with the knot make a wide swath in the working part of the limb???  Ya think???

other limb

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline DQ

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:56:53 pm »
I wish I understood hand shock.  I have an elbow tendon that tells me my bows need to be smoother.  Still looking for that magic design that is smooth, fast, beautiful, cheap and easy. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:16:15 pm »
I dont believe that knot matters much. Working handle bows seem to move a little more than stiff handles. I cant tell what this one is. I dont have a bow that jars me, if I did I may be able to better tell what makes them act as they do? How about a full draw shot KIp Winger.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:16:57 pm »
IMO it's down to excess mass or too light an arrow.
Obviously the extra mass around knots in character bows will be moving as fast as the bow limb and will cause a jar when it stops.
Similary if the arrow is too light then too much energy remains in the limbs and it jars.
A well shaped cofortable grip helps minimise it, if you can feel the grip at all then it doesn't fit, you should be able to close the hand lightly around it and not be aware of where it's pressing into the hand.
I have a couple of bow that can kick a bit, but going up from a 70gn point to 100gn usually smooths it out.
One of the worst culprits is my only Osage bow, it has static recurve tips and a fair bit of string tension at brace.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:23:23 pm »
I wish I understood hand shock.  I have an elbow tendon that tells me my bows need to be smoother.  Still looking for that magic design that is smooth, fast, beautiful, cheap and easy. :)
I get pretty bad tennis elbow too. ELBs are pretty smooth. A nice wide pyramid/paddle is good too. Anything without recurve or an anvil tied to the limbs  ;)
I tend to stay below 50#, my fave' is about 47#
Del

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 05:02:37 pm »
Dell you may be right about the grip (might revisit that) but it still a shocker even with my heaviest arrows!!!

after ten arrows my hand (loose grip) and some of the redness is gone allready!!!

Full Draw Chris...

and video

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/coaster500/Osage%20three%20gentle%20flip%20march%202012/?action=view&current=KipsOsageHunteraftershooting019.mp4

This is the heaviest bow in weight I have built. I built it to hunt and not for target. California Hogs have tough cages and I wanted a bit more pop!!! I have about 5 pounds of weight to play with what would you do to the bow other than revisiting the handle???

I would walk away from this but this is what does when I shoot it!!!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:09:07 pm »
What string material are you using? Maybe dacron would cushion it a bit?
Del

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 05:25:05 pm »
Del It's B-50 ...I use it pretty much on everything???

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:44:22 pm »
Coaster, if you put a gentle curve in the last 12" of the bow I bet your handshock will go a way. It changes the string angle so it may not even gain any weight. Your early draw weight will go up higher and speed right with it. Also fast flight string I feel reduces handshock as well.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 05:53:08 pm »
How many ounces does the bow weigh? Whats the draw weight and draw lenth? And how wide is it?

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 06:11:49 pm »
I second what badger said about fast flight string. It helps a lot with handshock. When Im shooting a new bow in I use a tillering string which is made of b-50 so I can feel every bit of the handshock to know if my limb timing is good, thats the only time I use anything but fast flight.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 06:23:36 pm »
The fastflight=less handshock is V interesting.
The received wisdom I'd heard over here was that B50 was softer on the bow and less shocky, not that I took any notice ;D, I just tried a low stretch string and liked it, so that's what I use now (Angel Majesty).
It would be good to findout if FF cures the shock on this one.
So what do we actually think hand shock is ? An impulse or vibration, I spose it's subjective and I don't s'pose anyone has gone to the touble of putting accelerometers on a bow* and shot from a machine with different strings.
I don't s'pose machines get tennis elbow anyhow.
Del
(* I mean a real bow :) not one of these modern target jobs >:( which has doubtless been examined to the nth degree)