Author Topic: Short time lurker first time build  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Beetle

Short time lurker first time build
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:20:41 pm »
My son (10) got interested in this after seeing it at a highland games. I figured I could build one cheaper than buying one and it would be a bonding experience.

Starting on his before working on mine.

I ordered a hickory floor tillered kit, glued the linen backing on and started.

A couple of questions came up while I am working.

1. How does it look so far?
2. How do you clean up the edges of the linen? I cut the edge as close as I could with scissors but there are still frayed edges.

Hope this goes smoothly and we can enjoy shooting and can enter the competition next highland games as father and son.

Thank you
Jim 

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Short time lurker first time build
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
Don't work any more close to the handle on both limbs until you see more bend mid-limb and out. Looks to me like it'll be a real nice bow.

As for the edge of the back, I normally use a file to radius the edge and cut off the backing. Keep at right angles to the bow and go slowly and gently.

Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:01:56 pm »
Like george said, stay away from the fades, remove wood mid limb. Start with removing wood on the left limb. Don't use a long string that is much longer than the bow..

Bet your son will be very pleasesd when it is finished.

Greetings,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:48:46 pm »
please correct me if i am wrong  cause im pretty new at this myself but the left limb looks like its got a slight hinge at the fade
and i agree with work the mid limbs more
other than that it looks pretty good to me
kevin

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »
I would hit the mid left limb with about 20 scrapes and brace it 2" or so. That will better tell you what needs to happen. Your well past the long string already.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:33:05 pm »
In my opinion it's ready for the short string! Not a full brace height yet, but just a nice 3" of braceheight. Tie the string about 2" shorter than the distance nock groove to nock groove.

A low brace will really tell you where you're at. I think it will tell you you need to scrape the midlimbs. Once braced, resist the temptation to draw it any! Look carefully first - without even pulling the string an inch. Pulling it too early will cause permanent damage to the wood in the form of string follow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Beetle

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:02:48 pm »
I worked the mid limb on the left and it bends more and was able to get the backing trimmed closer to the edge thank you.

I really need a stringer because when I tied the sting short I cannot string it (could be a method issue) and I need to reduce draw weight but from what i read that happens after you get it tillered checking tiller as you reduce it.

What is meant by low brace?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:25:33 pm »
low brace just means that the distance between the string and the bow when braced is small (like 2-3 inches). I think 3 inches is a good distance to shoot for. Like Darksoul said, have the string be about 2 inches shorter than the bow to get in the ballpark. A normal brace height for a finished bow is between 4"-7" depending on the bow and the shooter.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:02:10 am »
Mid limb on to the nocks for both limbs is stiff. My site may help you. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »
Jawge's site will really help - it got me started.  The Traditional Bowyer's Bible Volumes 1, 2, and 4 are all great books and will help you a lot.  I haven't read Vol. 3 yet....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi