Author Topic: First board bow "Firestarter"  (Read 3073 times)

Offline woodswalker

First board bow "Firestarter"
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »
The fire has been lit. This is my first bow I have ever built. I have affectionately named her Firestater for two reasons. First is because the this experience has lit a fire under me to start a second. Also because with the first few arrows she had already cracked so now will become firestarter come winter. But I have enjoyed every step of the way and have learned tons. Not of how to build a bow but steps to do not to cause it to be harder than it has to be. To anyone even thinking of doing this; STOP thinking and just do it. Don't think you have to have alot of equipment (primitive man didnt have it) and no matter the results the trip will be fun. Thank you all on here just reading your post are encouragement. If any of you long time bowyers have some pics of your first bows could you maybe post some so other new guys could see where it starts.
Thanks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: First board bow "Firestarter"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:41 pm »
Congrats on taking that first step, even if it's cracking up on you , you've had those first shots, which you just can't beat.
You'll soon learn to get your eye in with tillering bows.
I do a blog 'Bowyers Diary' where I show what I do, even the mistakes, have a look as it may be useful, there are some tillering videos too on my website 'Delsbows'. Just google those names to find them.
That first bow teaches us so much, and we never stop learning.
Good to have you on board!
Del
(BTW On my blog I've just finished my fisrt successful Hornbeam bow, the first one I tried smashed, that's all on there too!)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »
Very nice and welcome to PA. Good first effort. She is bending to much in the handle area and needs to bend more mid limb on. Did you use a board?  Check my site for more. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »
Way to go man, now your hooked. I agree with you in some cases guys hesitate to long to get started, give it to much thought before even attempting it. I say get started and take your time and think it out while your building it.
Good on you woodswalker.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »
Good first effort. The important thing is the learnin. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it cracked on you on the top limb just up from the fade where it starts to get stiff looking. Like George said, it needs to bend more from mid limb toward the tips (both limbs).
Go build another - you're addicted now!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:38:12 pm »
W2, nice bow regardless....and your way ahead of the "talkers", good for you man.
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »
what rich said, heck if i'd have waited for someone to show me or to get the bibles i still would not have a bow built, just get after it, and have some fun, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:05 pm »
WELCOME to PA and the ADDICTION  >:D nothing like launching one out pf a bow crafted by your own two hands ...first or hundred some make it and some dont...keep it up ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31:11 pm »
Way to jump in but you know now you're cooked !!!

Like lay's chips, ya just can't make one :)

Welcome
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 12:29:41 am »
congrats on your first shooter! Welcome to the addiction!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:47:18 am »
Congrats on that first step!  I look forward to seeing more of your journey.   Josh