Author Topic: Bow weight  (Read 1211 times)

kurogane_84

Bow weight
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:23 pm »
Hello all, ive read some things online but it has not really explained how to get to the weight you want, i know you must rough the bow out, smooth the sides, then do a initial tillering, do you measure with a scale and remove wood from the belly then when you reach your weight, do the final tillering and test the bow?? like ive said i have read a few online e books, but they never went in depth, i guess ill have to wait and buy some good books LOL

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Bow weight
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:04:01 am »
Actually your goal is to get the draw weight at the draw length you want.   The draw weight will remain relatively static and you're work will be to extend the draw length until you reach your target. 

Once you get a short string on the bow you pull to about 10lbs under your draw weight.  The draw length should be very short, 12" or so if you've done well at getting to the short string early.  You work at evening out the bend and the making the limbs match which will allow you to draw further and from now on you'll exercise the bow to your draw weight at whatever draw length that is...lets say it's now at 18".  Some more fine tuning with the scraper and if all has gone well your bend is nice, even and your bow is now pulling 20" at your draw weight.  From here on out you're evenly scraping both limbs stopping to exercise the bow frequently.  Slowly but surely the draw length will lengthen at your target weight.  Never pull more than your draw weight.  At the end, plan on losing a couple pounds so stop when the bow is a little heavy at your draw length and it should settle right in to what you want as you shoot it.

Make sense?  Of course, sometimes things go wrong or that impatience bug causes trouble.  However, if you catch problems early, exercise the bow a lot between wood removals and are patient you should make weight most of the time.

George
St Paul, TX

kurogane_84

Re: Bow weight
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:10:55 am »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH now i think i gets it lol, i was thinking you went for the draw weight, but its reversed you go for the draw length, ok now i think i gets it, somewhat :P and yes impatience is my worst habit but i need to conquer it lol