Author Topic: Turkeys...tremble ye with much fear and trepidation!  (Read 6082 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Turkeys...tremble ye with much fear and trepidation!
« on: July 07, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
For I have a great and terrible weapon with which I shall smite thee!

.62 caliber flintlock smoothbore.  Built by Jack Garner, curly ash stock, bell barrelled, and fits me like it was made for me!  Never been shot, fer cripes sakes.  Heck, the parts would have cost me more than I paid for this sweetie!

Check out the grain!  Glad I didn't have to make bow outa that wood!

Here's a blurry shot of the cannon muzzle and the notch filed in for a sight.  Can't wait to try her out with shot and with roundball.  I may even look into getting the barrel jug choked if the pattern isn't all that tight.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jimbob

Re: Turkeys...tremble ye with much fear and trepidation!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:13:58 pm »
JW, thats a beauty!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:34:36 am »
John that thing is gorgeous.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:22:40 am »
that shure is purty JW, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:56:09 am »
What they said nice lookin boom stick.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:00:49 am »
nice flintlock JW.now go get us a turkey.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:43:56 am »
She's a beauty, JW. What is the purpose of the flared "cannon" barrel?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 01:58:00 pm »
wow-that is sweet!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 04:33:31 pm »
I got SLOT ( s load of turkeys) around my place this year - three or four broods with up to 15 poults each! I always try to get em with my BOV (big ole van) but they can move pretty quick.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 04:37:23 pm »
Beautiful gun! I have killed two turkeys with my smooth bore flintlock, 62 cal.  or 20 gauge. Mine is a Caywood kit that I built.

I found putting shredded tow or burlap over shot gave a better pattern. Just need a wad about the size of a large grape. Flat cards seemed to make a hole in the center of my shot pattern. I always used size 6 shot and 2f powder. Also, shoot a Dinty Moore soup can at the max distance you think you can kill a turkey with it. If you are not punching holes at least through one side of the can, hopefully both sides, then it will not kill a bird. I learned the hard way. Adding more powder in an attempt to get a longer shot can also make your shot pattern explode.....Good Luck, it's a great accomplishment when you succeed.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:18 pm »
Flat cards seemed to make a hole in the center of my shot pattern.

Adding more powder in an attempt to get a longer shot can also make your shot pattern explode.....

In my experience with my Pedersoli 10 ga the hole in the pattern was caused by excessive powdercharge, I b acked her off a little and lost toe donut pattern.  But of course, every gun is a different kettle of Dinty More Soup cans, as well you know!

I think the cannon barrel flare at the end is supposed to bring the point of impact down a little bit since the back of the barrel is an octagon and very thick compared to the front of the barrel.  I just thought it looked cool.  Cool enough I couldn't resist.

I'll probably take a deer with it before I get to turkey season.  Pity we don't have real huntable populations of squirrels around here.  She'd do a bang up job (pun intended) on tree rats.  And then there is winter bunny season!  Woohoo, I predict meat in the pot and fun in the bank!

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:28:30 pm »
You lucky dog ;D
I like free stuff.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 10:53:41 pm »
... I predict meat in the pot and fun in the bank!

I predict a flash in the pan and a clean miss... >:D

Actually I'm just jealous.  Bring that thing down here and we'll try and ventilate a pig with it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:06:13 am »
Ye olde scattergun looks formidable JW!  I am a little green with envy.  That's a beauty.  Don't forget to post some pics when you bag something with her.  A blast from the past.....  :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 01:37:24 pm »
George!  Has that dad-gum Mikey been telling my secrets?  That was just ONE year of muzzleloading, one bad year, ya hear that?  Ok, so there were 4 seperate incidences where I had does under 40 yds away and I managed to miss all four of 'em...one of 'em twice.  I'm fast at reloading!  I ended up with the nickname Mr Clean.  Because each time I fired I missed her clean!

Actually, I can stand a clean miss.  I can really stand a clean kill.  It's all the stuff in between I dislike. 

Hrrhodes?  Blast from the past?  Nuh-uh, it's my present and future.  I've been hunting big game now for 9 years and taken 13 deer, only one with a modern centerfire weapon.  It made me feel dirty.  And not dirty in a gooood way.  Personally I think all these "suppository loaders" are just a passing fad and pretty soon everyone is gonna wake up and remember what they been missing....flinchrocks, I mean flintlocks!

I couldn't get to sleep last nite thinking about all the hard work ahead of me.  I now have to make a new powderhorn, priming horn, shooting bag, and all the little this-n-thats that go in the pouch.  Work, work, work.