Author Topic: anyone seen these in their kills and know what they are?  (Read 5894 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

anyone seen these in their kills and know what they are?
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
Well my son killed a rabbit today in the garden. So I started to skin it out in hopes of having so roasted rabbit when I found these in it.and it looked like they were eating the rabbit from the inside out
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

birdpointlightstring32

Re: anyone seen these in their kills and know what they are?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:21:30 am »
those are bot flies and their babies......yumm..... reminds me of the lion king...lol.. >:D

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:33:08 am »
those are bot flies and their babies......yumm..... reminds me of the lion king...lol.. >:D

Yep! Nasty larvae!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:05:49 am »
I've found nasal bot flies in a deer skull while cleaning it.  GROSS
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:10:52 am »
Do these make the animal unsafe to eat?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:16:43 am »
dont know about eating,,we call them woofs,,common in the summer time
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:35 am »
Gives me the heebe jeebes just looking at that ...id be afraid thet would eat me from the inside out :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:08:38 am »
Yea this was the first time EVER that I have thrown away fresh meat. I don't know if it would be safe to eator not it looked like they were just under the skin though.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:16:08 am »
I don't think the bot fly larvae will affect to meat but I don't know that for sure. It is a parasite and once the larvae pupates it leaves its host. Google "Bot Fly" and see what it says.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:06:32 am »
I've killed a lot of squirrels with those larva in them.  We called the "wobble" when I was growing up.  If it was a successful hunt and we had enough squirrel meat for dinner, the infected squirrels were tossed, mainly because those things were gross.  If the hunt was not all that productive the infected squirrels went in the pot.  I usually soak all my squirrels and rabbits in salt water in the frig over night. 

I've not had any ill effects from eating game with bot fly larva in them.  Oh wait, years late I did come down with bowyer-istis.  Maybe the bot flies had something to do with my bow building addiction.   :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 11:34:27 am »
It is my understanding that they don't affect the meat at all, but I have to admit I have tossed a few critters that were infested with them.

I have killed bunch of deer that had them fall out of their nose after the deer hit the ground. I have never found one anywhere else on a deer. Every deer I have ever recovered has been consumed, except two I found the next day after very hot nights. They looked more like a balloons than a deer, I am sure the coyotes enjoyed them.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:46 am »
We always called those botfly larva "wolves" around here, and they're in a good percentage of rabbits and squirrels until it gets cold and frosty in the fall. They won't hurt the meat at all, they just look gross. You can trim around them. Almost every wild animal has a whole ecosystem of parasites living in it-deer have specialized worms that live in their nostrils, brains, and even velvet antlers. I'm just glad that we don't have the human botfly here like they do in South America and Africa-they do the same thing, but to people.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:19:15 pm »
Google "Bot Fly" and see what it says.

Before you go and google bot flies, go on a three day fast.  Be dang sure your stomach has NOTHING in it, don't even swallow your spit for 3 hours ahead of time.  Nasty little boogers. 

Cooking the meat would kill the parasites, but how hungry are you really?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 07:43:54 pm »
Yep they can affect horses and cattle also.....thats why we wait til it gets cold to hunt squirrels and rabbits around here.  We also call them "wolves".
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »
Always called them grubs here growing up. Only hunt rabbits and squirells in months that have an "r" in them and usually won't find them buggers.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.