Author Topic: Hickory Bow  (Read 5719 times)

Offline KellyG

Hickory Bow
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:15:29 pm »
Well I am new to this site and thought I would start by sharing a bow I finished for a swap on another site.

It is my first hickory bow and only my second shooter. It is a very simple self bow if there is such a thing.

It ended up being 64"ntn pulling 48#@28" trueoil finish with an old combat boot tongue leather handle and floppy rest/strike plate. It took some set early on due to and hinge but once I got the tiller right. I was able to heat temper the belly and add some reflex in the last 3rd to bring the snap back in it. I piked it to get it back up close to 50# as I could. That is the natural color. I added some turkey feathers for decoration and wind indicator.

I did not get a full draw pic before shipping it off sorry it should not happen again.

thanks to Pat B for all the advice and helping get another shooter made.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hickory Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:45:38 pm »
That's a handsom bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:24 pm »
A shooter bow is the goal. Most everything else is fluff even if it is pretty.
Nice job.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »
My take on hickory is that it really is a second string bow wood.  In other words, make a second string (and maybe even a third and a fourth) cuz you gonna shoot that sucker for a good long time!!!

Even without a full draw pic, I like this bow.  She looks pretty darn serviceable!

Good work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
Welcome to PA, Kelly. You did good. She came out very nice.  8) ...and the tongue of a combat boot for a handle wrap. Thats cool! I know your recipient will be pleased.

Kelly's first bow was built in Irac while he was stationed there. A TG member sent Kelly an osage stave and he got lots of help from the guys on Bowyers Bench on TG. After Kelly got home last year he shot a beautiful, VERY RESPECTABLE Kansas buck with his osage bow.  8)

OK Kelly, now that this bow is done its time to start the next one.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:47:26 pm »
Very nice Kelly. Hickory is some good stuff if you can keep it dry. That Cambium on the back looks really good.

Offline KellyG

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 01:16:23 am »
Thanks for all the kinds words.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 01:50:40 am »
    Welcome Kelly. I'm sure you'll be a great addition to this site, judging from what I've seen on the other one.   Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 01:55:18 am »
Love the natural look...sharp bow...welcome to pa ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 02:02:58 am »
I really like the way the back looks!  I'd love to make a bow of hickory, but i'm still not out of red oak yet...

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 02:32:47 am »
Welcome to PA, Kelly. You did good. She came out very nice.  8) ...and the tongue of a combat boot for a handle wrap. Thats cool! I know your recipient will be pleased.

Kelly's first bow was built in Irac while he was stationed there. A TG member sent Kelly an osage stave and he got lots of help from the guys on Bowyers Bench on TG. After Kelly got home last year he shot a beautiful, VERY RESPECTABLE Kansas buck with his osage bow.  8)

OK Kelly, now that this bow is done its time to start the next one.  ;)

To quote Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider, "It's hard to beat a good piece of hickory."

Kelly, first off Thank You for your service to our country.  Secondly, that's a fine bow.  You seem to have had some issues, recognized them and corrected them.  That makes it a ver good build.  And only your second bow.  Wow!
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 11:50:00 am »
Well done! I like the simplicity of it. Like yours, I leave some of the cambium layer intact when working hickory- natural camo

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline KellyG

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 01:29:48 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words on the bow.

Rufledt keep that oak as a back up and start your hickory or heck trade some off for hickory if you don't have any.

hedgeapple  I can't take all the credit for identifying the problem I post  lot of pic of the build as I go along and get plenty of feed back. Plus the PM and emails to Pat. It makes it a lot easier let me tell you.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 02:55:55 pm »
Great job, Kelly. Glad to see you over here. I love the "camo" look on the back. The veteran boot leather is also a nice touch!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:38:11 am »
I like that bow!  Nicely done sir!  Where at in Ks did you take your buck?  Josh