Author Topic: English Longbow  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Peter-t123

English Longbow
« on: July 04, 2012, 07:08:07 pm »
Hi everyone, I haven't posted a bow on here before but this is one i finished recently. It's a victorian style target bow, 45# @28 inches and laminated out of an unknown yellow timber backed with ash, buffalo tips and arrow plate and red leather grip. Cheers for looking.

Offline ErictheViking

Re: English Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:23:01 pm »
gorgeous full draw Peter!  nice work. where did you get the belly wood?
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »
cheers mate, and the belly wood i found in a random stack at a timber merchants, it was tongue and grooved as a piece of flooring. Originally i thought it was pau amorello but after working with it it definitely isn't, it's extremely light and fairly weak, as well as having a different grain pattern... im hoping someone might have an idea what it is.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
what ever kind of wood it is i don't know,but it is working for you.very nicely done.the tiller and full draw pic is very cool.thanks for the look.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »
Nice bend on that unknown yellow wood.  Great looking bow!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 12:04:36 am »
Top shelf!  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:35 am »
Very nice indeed! Your yellow wood could be any of a number of mahogany, but we get so many species from the tropics now that they consider junk wood that they don't even bother naming them .If they do name them ,it's usually something that they think sounds cool or marketable like "Tiger wood" or " Royal Brazilian Walnut".Whatever it was,  you've done it justice.Now that you know it works,buy more before it disappears forever.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:22 am »
 Nice job, Peter! Great bend!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:45:22 am »
Nice tiller peter. Job well done.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:25:27 pm »
Tiller is great!!!  Well done :)

I see it isn't just us Californians that run around bare foot  :laugh:
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »
Yup, very nice.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:45:04 pm »
Hi everyone, after shooting this bow more several frets have developed on the belly which is fairly disappointing, even at such a low weight this wood doesn't seem to be any good in compression. However, i think it may turn out to be a good wood for a core lamination, as it is extremely light and will be under less compression nearer to the neutral plane. I'm going to glue up a warbow tomorrow with an ipe belly and a strip of some of this stuff in the core.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »
Generally, a wood that we would consider "extremely light" (can you test a piece to calculate the specific gravity?) is not a great bowwood. It will be especially bad in a deep bellied bow, such as a true English Longbow, even at only 45# of drawweight. A lightweight wood should be used in a low stress, low strain design. That means a long and wide flatbow, with a flat belly. If you use the same wood in a longbow that is 4" longer and has a belly that is less crowned, you may just succeed.

Your idea for a warbow sounds good as well. Please keep us updated!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286