Author Topic: 4th of July Fireworks  (Read 1884 times)

Offline gstoneberg

4th of July Fireworks
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:17:05 am »
Happy Independence Day everybody (I know I'm a little early :)).  One of the benefits (and draw backs) of living in the great state of Texas is the 2 week window of shooting off fireworks around the 4th of July (and New Years).  Since we live just outside the city limits, where it's legal to fire off just about anything you want, we get to watch a lot of displays.  I headed out to the shop to do a little knapping and when I opened the door it sounded like opening day of dove season.  About a block to the north a neighbor was doing his finale.  It started kind-a small...

but ended impressively.

What a great country we live in!  Tomorrow's gonna be a great day...and a loud night.  We'll sit in the driveway in our lawn chairs after dark and watch everybody's display. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: 4th of July Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:24:45 am »
Love me some fireworks. Thanks for sharing.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline chertle

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:41:25 am »
George.......as always I am jealous!! We have been put on a fire ban so fireworks have been cancelled.....almost for our entire state!! :-\ once again enjoy them for me!!! Lol! :P
Leslie
Indiana

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:07:26 pm »
I like dove season and fireworks!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »
I was planning to take lots more pictures tonight from the driveway.  But, there was fresh hog rooting out at the hog lease so I'm gonna spend the early evening hours sitting out there with the night vision rifle.  Hope I see one.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline chertle

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:18 pm »
I was planning to take lots more pictures tonight from the driveway.  But, there was fresh hog rooting out at the hog lease so I'm gonna spend the early evening hours sitting out there with the night vision rifle.  Hope I see one.

George
.        Well?   Did ya see anything? We ended up having some fireworks near us......not sure how they got past the burn ban but they were pretty!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline darwin

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »
Burned the heck out of my thumb last weekend on fireworks was down at the ranch in Goilad Texas and got a bad fuse at least I dropped it before it went off in my hand still had a blast though God bless America (and Texas)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:05:42 pm »
Well?   Did ya see anything? We ended up having some fireworks near us......not sure how they got past the burn ban but they were pretty!

Yes, I saw 2 boar.  I had just parked the pickup at the edge of the wheat field and sat in a camp chair facing where I thought they'd come from upwind of me.  They came in on my downwind side about a half hour after it got good and dark.  I didn't realize they were there until one growled.  If you've never a pig growl, it's a moving experience in pitch dark when they're close.  They were about 20 yards away then.  They only had to go about 50 yards to the nearest trees.  I got the gun up and the night vision fired up in time but I had trouble seeing them (the full moon wasn't out yet) and instead of doing the right thing and turning on the illuminator I grabbed for the focus knob (which wasn't the problem).  By the time I got my mind working and turned on the illuminator they'd escaped into the trees.  Too bad.  Had a couple armadillos make my heart beat fast when they popped out about 15' away.  The skeeters were out in force, but the Thermacell kept them at bay.  I got tore up with chiggers though...wow!  Next time I'm spraying my pants with bug spray.  I have video from the scope of me trying to find the hogs, but it's so dark that you can't tell what anything is.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:52:48 am »
I like dove season and fireworks!

Tracy

O what a good time a combination thereof would be >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...