Author Topic: bandsaws  (Read 7953 times)

wrightbrigade

bandsaws
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:06:00 am »
Question for those of you lucky enough to have a fine Grizzly product.  There are two that I'm looking at one is $409 with a 3/4 hp motor and the next up is 509 with 1 hp motor.  The biggest difference that I see  it the bearing guides  verse block guides.  Will the cheaper of the two work for most of my bow building needs.  Thanks

Offline DanaM

Re: bandsaws
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:07:50 am »
The biggest difference is the hp, the smaller will work I'm sure, but I would buy the 1hp if ya can
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:52:59 am »
Bigger is better especially when it comes to bandsaws.I tell people to buy the biggest and best you can afford
you want regret it. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

tradrick

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:35:16 pm »
Glad to see this thread.I've told the wife I would like one for Christmas.Problem is I don't know anything about them.I've seen bandsaws that are 10'',12'',14''which size would be best for bow building?As you say bigger is better on bandsaws.But would be the minimum hp motor for cutting staves?What type of blade?How many teeth per inch?Are there any name brands that stand out than others?Are there any that would be best to stay away from?Sorry for all the ?'s but I would like to make a informed purchase.Thanks tradrick

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 02:25:52 pm »
I have The Grizzly with a 1 1/2 hp motor and it is more than enough with a 1/2" wood slicer resaw blade it rips through anything fast. I find the 3/8 blade is good for bow curves. but the blade that comes with the saw is junk. I think you want 1 hp with bearings. Im sure less saw would work but BUY ONCE. The prices are not that far apart. I dont think you will find a better saw for the money. Go to grizzly.com I think they are cheaper than $500 Grizzly has excelent customer service. I had a a few dings on a couple parts and when I told them they just sent me new parts no questions and I could keep the old ones for back up.
                                                                          Jesse
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:34:00 pm by WIBOWYER »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

wrightbrigade

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 07:43:53 pm »
Thanks All,  I have asked questions, read and read on the net, and went and looked at all kinds of bandsaws.  It's come down to the Grizzly with the 1hp and bearing guides.  I think I'll use a bandsaw for all kinds of stuff around the house and I can make bows a little quicker  ;D.  I'm a little short on founds for this but I'll just wait a little longer and buy once.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 07:53:56 pm »
The bearing guides are great.  I switched to bearings from cool blocks and have been happy.  All else aside, a good sharp blade will make a piece of junk saw outperform a top of the line saw with a dull blade or one not suited for the job at hand.  A blade needs to be suited for the wood type and thickness, and how straight of cuts you are making.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

tradrick

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:59:04 pm »
Good point also Justin.What type of blade would be recommended for bow building?I also noticed on the grizzly site they offered replacement blades.Which for bow building 4 or 6 TPI.I also feel that the Grizzly would make a good bandsaw and saved the page to my favorites for the wife.$509.00 shipped to your door with 1hp motor and bearings can't beat it.Thanks tradrick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 12:53:18 am »
I asked a guy that owns a local tool shop.  He has about 40 years experience.  He told me that for the real hard woods he would use a 6TPI hook style blade.  Its mostly straight cuts so he recommended a 1/2" blade. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

wrightbrigade

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:11:47 am »
Well while I'm waiting on funds I found a Jet 12inch bandsaw on craigslist for 100 bucks.  I couldn't get down there fast enough. It's was only 20 minutes away.  This saw wasn't even ever put together all the way, which unfortunately, the lower thrust bearing is missing.  That whole set up is 18 bucks on their website.  I'm going to order a timberwolf blade and just hope for the best out of it.  I tuned it up and there is no vibration at all and it's quiet.  It's not the Grizzly I'm sure, lacks bearing guides, but it's going help me on some bows.  Cheaply too! 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 12:53:34 am »
Just remember not to try to get to close to final dimensions until you are sure you and the saw are seeing eye to eye.  You can sure ruin $300 worth of wood in a hurry with a $100 saw, or a $1000 saw for that matter.  Justin

SW Utah

wrightbrigade

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 01:20:44 am »
I'll probably have to use a sharpie and cut on the out side of that.  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 10:40:37 am »
Just remember to always keep the side you can't see canted away from the blade and
you want have any problems. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 11:05:11 pm »
What pappy and Justin said  ;)
                                          Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 08:53:33 am »
Just remember to always keep the side you can't see canted away from the blade and
you want have any problems. :)
   Pappy

A hard lesson learned for me on that one. ;D