Author Topic: I hate to ask this  (Read 4839 times)

Offline Dictionary

I hate to ask this
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »
because its been asked so many times but i can't find the answer to my exact question.

gonna try my first attempt at a board bow. Got a 72 inch red oak board. Cut it down to like 65 inches. gonna use the extra 7 inches as a handle. The board has somewhat straight grain but im going to go to hobby lobby and try and get some linen,cotton, or silk to back it with. How do i back it though? Do i have to cover every part of the back of the bow or just like a narrow line on the back? Sorry to have to ask this but i couldnt find the answer to save my life.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Badger

Re: I hate to ask this
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:59:10 pm »
 When you say somewhat straight grain do you mean the board has some run offs? Red oak will not tolerat run offs very well and the backing will not likely save it but it will help, you need to cover the whole back, saturate fabric with glue and rub onto wood squishing out as much glue as you can. Or just put the glue on the back of the bow and rub till it comes out through the fabric.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:57 pm »
i like to size the back, thin some glue and brush it on, soak the cloth in the thined glue, another coat of unthined glue on bow back and place cloth, stretch it tight, that's just how i do it though, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
As in cover the entire back so that there is absolutely no spots without some thread on them? That's going to take a hell of a lot of thread, right? I'm thinking i probably won't be able to get thread with much thickness to it so it will probably be fine strands im guessing.

And the grain is straight on the back and belly of the board but on the sides of it, it is moderately straight grained.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:01:38 pm »
I think you want to go with fabric, not individual threads.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Nifty

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:21:50 pm »
You're going to want fabric. Thread would take all weekend!

You can try goodwill or other thrift stores for old silk ties. They're usually super cheap.
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline darwin

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:49:42 pm »
if you go to hobby lobby you can buy camo fabric if you want to add something diffrent to your bow badger is right though if you have a lot of run offs the backing wont mater red oak really likes to split along the grain i also like to size the back and do it almost exactly like bubby

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:02:14 pm »
Try to avoid the cotton; linen or silk would be better.

Apply a thin coat of woodglue over the entire back of the bow. Also apply a thin coat of glue onto the fabric (one side only). Stretch the fabric a bit. Lay down the glue side on top of the glue side. Press it down firmly and rub out all the air bubbles and as much of the glue as possible. Leave to dry for at least two days before you start tillering.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:54 pm »
You CAN do threads.  It does take a while.

Thats a hemp thread backed red oak board bow from the way back machine  :).  I think that pic is seven years old.

I agree with DarkSouls description of how to glue on fabric, although on thin fabric like silk or fine linen I think you can skip the glue on the fabric.  The fabric will saturate from the glue on the back.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Andy

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:16:01 am »
If you have a JoAnn's Fabrics nearby, they had linen cloth last time I was looking for some.  I got enough to back more bows than I'd know what to do with for twenty or thirty bucks, if I remember correctly.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 03:03:06 am »
If you have a JoAnn's Fabrics nearby, they had linen cloth last time I was looking for some.  I got enough to back more bows than I'd know what to do with for twenty or thirty bucks, if I remember correctly.

I think my local Joanns people know me by name by now- my wife makes clothing, and we're always there buying more fabric.  They have some good silk fabrics too, usually.  Get on their mailing list, and you get 40 and 50% off coupons.  I have enough silk for bows for the rest of my life at this point, I think.

Mike

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:42 am »
I like linen , personally. applied with titebond II. Easy ,good results.Remarkable material.  Good substrate for a paint job as well.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 01:22:50 pm »
You guys are great. This completely cleared a lot up for me. I saw a fabric store here in Birmingham yesterday after i got off work. I think i'll head over there today. Also when we refer to grain are we referring to the very thin lines on the board or the darker thicker brown lines on the board? Because the brown thicker lines are not entirely straight on the side(edge) of this board i have.

Edit* Went out and got a board with straighter grain. Went to fabric shop, that linen was waaayy to expensive. I think i got like 10 bucks total in my own name right now  :laugh:. Need to earn some cash. Anyways i'm wondering if i could back the bow with some old jeans i got. Jeans are usually 100% cotton and i was wondering if this would work.

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:14:25 pm by Dictionary »

-JW_Halverson

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 03:42:29 pm »
go to a thrift store, silk tie or dress probablly cost ya a dollar, good place for leather as well, purses and coats, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 03:44:54 pm »
Cotton stretches a lot.  I don't know if would add much protection to the back of the bow, and the additional mass would definitely slow it down.

If your grain is pretty straight along the back of the bow (e.g. you can follow each growth ring from one end to the other, or the run offs occur at a very oblique angle), you really don't need to back a red oak board.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.