Author Topic: Tillering Checks ( Pics added)  (Read 4315 times)

blackhawk

Re: Tillering Checks ( Pics added)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 10:32:42 pm »
With the high reflex bows(especially the reflexed lever bows)i find it best to floor tiller/long string tiller till theres only an estimated 5-10 pounds left to remove before i first brace. And i make sure its as close to dead nuts as i can get it. Because low bracing does not work most of the time. They just want to flip. So the first brace usually has to be at least 4"+,and thats why i wont brace em till theres only 5-10 pounds left to go. And this helps to keep n retain some of that lofty reflex.

Whats your take on tillering high reflex badger? Your the man if you can retain 3 1/2" of that. At best i would retain 3" of 5" starting reflex.

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:55 pm »
Chris, just like you said, I floor tiller till they look about right and feel equal, then I put on a long string and double check tiller then go for a minimum 4" or 5" brace height. From that point the scale come in handy, I start going down 1" at a time several pulls at each increment as soon as I detect the slightest drop in weight I start adjusting tiller and don't go past that point till I feel tiller is about perfect. The last few inches it is really hard not to loose a little bit but 3# of weight is equal to about 1" reflex or less.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 07:14:31 am »
Thats looking sweet Steve,love them curves,that's got to spit and arrow. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 07:47:34 am »
I find the same...that an inch of lost reflex is losing 3 pounds,so earlier on when im estimating weight i need to put that into the equation that ill lose aprrox 6 pound to lost reflex(pending on how much i start with).

That BBI is pushing it,but you know that ;) with the high reflex kicking out half way in the limb it can be a fine balancing and juggling act keeping it all together. I havent tried kicking out high reflex further in closer to the handle,but id imagine it wood be even tougher to keep it from flipping. I think string tracking is super critical with high reflex like that...i find that if the string is dead center thru the handle,and dead center thru each lever or high reflexed tip,that the better stability you have.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 08:51:37 pm »
      Well that reflexed bow was a bit of a disaster. Haven't done one like that for a few years and forgot how stiff they feel when floor tillering. I floor tillered braced the bow and had no room to work as I was right at 50#, brace needed some adjustment so I went ahead and straightened up the tiller at brace now am at 45#, shot a few arrows through it and noticed a hinge developing right at the turn for the reflexs, same place I always hinge them. Now I am reverse tillering glueing wood back on the hinges, LOL. The patch seemed to have worked but I never feel the same about a patched bow. Really like how it shoots so plan to do another next week but round out the relfexed area a bit more.