Author Topic: Sweet Hackberry  (Read 3616 times)

Offline okie64

Sweet Hackberry
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:37 pm »
Heres a few pics of a hackberry bow I just finished up. This is my first hackberry bow and I love it, very soft and easy to work with and shoots like a champ, it also has a really sweet smell to it that kinda reminds me of a freshly sliced apple. The bow is 64" ntn and pulls 56# at 28", heat treated the belly with 2.5" of reflex and it holds about 1" after unstringing, pecan stain and 5 coats of tru-oil and beefwood tips. Thanks for lookin.

This is the only pic I have at the moment of the bow being drawn, its around 25" in this pic.

Offline SA

Re: Sweet Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:57:43 pm »
that tiller looks good, i like the smell of hackberry also i does have a sweet smell , i am working on one right now.
 nice job on that bow.

btw what part okla. are you from? i'm in norman
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:06:13 pm by sa »
Shawn Acker

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:57 pm »
SA - Like the character, shape and lines in that front profile picture, tiller and finish look real nice too. Done a a few hackberry bows myself and agree it is a nice wood to work with.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:02:02 pm »
You say it smells like apple, I say freshly popped popcorn, others say the smell of dent corn being ground for meal.  Everyone seems to love that smell!  But those in the know, love the way it feels under a sharp tool as it is slowly becoming a wonder-of-wonders we call a bow. 

Oh how I live me some hackberry!  And this bow is no exception!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:05:14 pm »
Looks good, Okie! Nice tips, too!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:02 am »
Thanks for the compliments guys.                                                                                                           

Sa, I live in a small town close to the ok/ar stateline, couple hundred miles from you.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 03:12:21 am »
Nice work Jamey!!  I love the smell also...  my favorite shooter to date and my fastest per pound of draw weight is Hackberry. My shoulders love the stuff !!

hey the wood on them tips looks familiar  :laugh:
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:06:24 am »
Very nice job,looks great. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:30:28 am »
Nice job I too love the looks of it from the front profile. Nice tiller also.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40:47 am »
Cool beans...light as a feather i bet....and it smells like popcorn to me when heating it

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:22 pm »
Thanks Kip, You get a chance to work on any more of that osage yet? Im still shootin the heck outta that little bow you sent me.

Thanks Pappy

Thanks Judo

Thanks blackhawk, Yes it is light as a feather in the hand even at 1-3/4" wide. My osage bows are all around 1 1/8" wide and this hackberry looks like a boat paddle hanging next to them.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:47:08 pm »
You say it smells like apple, I say freshly popped popcorn, others say the smell of dent corn being ground for meal.  Everyone seems to love that smell!  But those in the know, love the way it feels under a sharp tool as it is slowly becoming a wonder-of-wonders we call a bow. 

Oh how I live me some hackberry!  And this bow is no exception!

I don't know what it smells like, but everytime I cook it, it makes me hungry everytime!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »
Got a couple of your staves in the process but hunting, fishing and my regular job are keeping my bow building time short :)

I'm glad you are putting that bow to use. It's way to nice a shooter to hang on the wall !!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »
Perfect recipe okie.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 11:26:08 am »
Very nice!  Beautiful tiller.  I like hackberry .  Josh